Hi - I'm writing an article for the BBC News website on workplace discrimination against atheists. I have seen a few stories on this site about people who felt excluded by their co-workers or even lost their job after expressing their beliefs. I would like to talk to people who have been through such an experience. You can contact me directly - my email is brianwheelerbbc@gmail.com - or share your stories in this forum.

Brian Wheeler

BBC News, Washington

---------------------------------------

**Moderator's note: After our initial message of caution to all of you we've had an opportunity to confirm that Mr. Wheeler is indeed who he says he is. Knowing this, we'd like to encourage everyone to please share their stories of discrimination in the workplace with Mr. Wheeler. We shouldn't let the opportunity of a BBC News reporter telling the world the story of very real anti-atheist discrimination pass by! He is on a deadline so you must contact him as soon as you're able to.

(Anyone interested in confirming the legitimacy of this Moderator's note may contact Nelson either on TA or by email.)**

Tags: discrimination, job, work

Views: 4680

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For the first time in my life I have a job that completely accepts me for who I am and what I do and do not believe.  I have even posted my Pastafarian Certificate of Ordination in my classroom, framed.  My boss has needled me a little about it, but has not asked me to remove it.

I'm sure the original intent of this post is long past deadline, but the topic is still interesting.  My atheist views brought all sorts of problems my way for years.  I was judged by coworkers and bosses.  I was asked at least once a week, via email, to become christian.  I was treated with open and loud disrespect.  It was a losing battle to fight it, so I either had to deal with it or quit.  Then I got a new boss.  Not only is he athiest, he is very outspoken, intelligent, and respectful even when others are not.  He and I talk about all sorts of things, including religion and atheism, openly and often.  No one asks me to convert any more.  No one judges me for my lack of beliefs.  I no longer must cover up or downplay who I am.  I am grateful for the turn of events but still very concerned that it couldn't happen naturally without him. 

No I haven't been discriminated at work. My colleagues are all religious but among my bosses, one is atheist, some are believers but it is not an issue at work.

While I was in school, I and friends would go to the local Catholic church for their soup kitchen, as a way to streach our school loans. I noticed that there were religious tables, and non-religious tables of folks talking. Sometimes it was a free for all or conversations concerning religion, and free thought. Over the years, it became clear that many of the theists could be very irritating, coming over for their monologues, or monopolizing the conversations, a few times coming to blows. The church finally posted a open letter describing soup kitchen policy, ' no preaching or you will be evicted'. It did not stop the theists, but atleast it could be niped in the bud.

RSS

Forum

FROM THE WORD OF GOD IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

Started by Stephen Gunn in Small Talk. Last reply by Stephen Gunn 3 minutes ago. 10 Replies

It happened

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Emperor Milos 45 minutes ago. 77 Replies

Lobby

Started by Glen L in Small Talk. Last reply by captain kingsway 4 hours ago. 8 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp 14 hours ago. 13 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 19 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service