I'm sure a lot of us have read it.  I'm curious about your reactions to it.  I read it a while ago, and found it disturbing.

I think the Christians in my life thought I was actually looking for their God in it.  I tried to be as open-minded as I could, trying to see what they see in it.  I found it to be violently, depressingly narcissistic.  When I told the Christians my thoughts, they dismissed the OT and praised the NT.

I found the NT to be as insipidly nauseating as the OT.  I had to stop reading it somewhere around Paul's Letter to Some Misguided People Somewhere before I imploded.  

My response to one particularly rabid Christian is that I have read it, and if his deity had wanted to get through to me it had its chance.  He said I need to study it with assistance from somebody who knows how to interpret it correctly.  

Nope!  Call me stubborn, defiant, possessed... whatever.  I say that if people can find guidance and comfort in the Bible, good for them.   I haven't - it's not the book for me. 

Views: 1344

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yup, pretty much the same story here. I went to a Catholic grade school, and all the teachers, nuns & priests kept telling me how great the Bible was, how it was full of God's Word, and this was all the proof I needed to know God was real. So I read it.

My conclusion was that God is a shitty writer who can't remember what he said just a few chapters earlier. The sheer density of contradictions, the complete lack of logic or reason contained therein, and the horrible, evil things commanded by God convinced me that if God was real, I wanted nothing to do with him. The fact that the worldview in the Bible is clearly not the world I live in convinced me that it was false, and I left Catholic school secure in my newfound atheism.

Is it not obvious to everyone that Revelations was written by someone who is either psychotic, or high as fuck on mushrooms? Possibly both?

I have an English friend who reads the Bible to me sometimes.  Even when he doesn't improvise, Revelations is hysterical.  What the hell is up with the four-sided eye-covered floating beast with wheels?  Between his Yorkshire accent and dramatic flair, it kills me every time.

Sorry if that isn't in the Bible and he made it up.  Does it really matter?  I got waaaaay more out of laughing about it than I ever have by seriously reading the Bible.

I think your mushroom theory is correct.  I once took a class on Shakespeare, and I was pretty much continuously stoned when I read the plays, wrote the papers, and took the tests.  It all made sense as long as I stayed in that state.  Maybe the Bible is like that, and I'm doing it wrong.

Christian school for 12 years here-

Fun fact; Revelations was supposedly written on the Island of Patmos (sp) which was known in those times for hallucinogenic mushrooms. I wish I could find the link right now but take my word for it that's actually a fact. LOL...

Dude just needed some bread and water...maybe a good Zepplin song...

Immediately I thought, "With a purple umbrella and a fifty cent hat...."  

When I was a teenager, Zeppelin was the closest thing to a god I had.  I think you're on to something here!

Is it not obvious to everyone that Revelations was written by someone who is either psychotic, or high as fuck on mushrooms? Possibly both?

No, actually if you compare a great deal of the stuff in revelation it repeats earlier books where social upheaval were symbolized.

A new heavens and new earth and the darkening of the sun and falling of the stars. Celestial symbolism. The earthquakes and rivers of blood are hardly anything new when describing the workings of mankind.

Congratulations on escaping Catholicism.

I HAVE read the Bible in its entirety - very carefully.  After finishing the opening “Book of Genesis,” I thought that this might be a pretty good read after all, since this first book was downright hilarious!  But my optimism was short-lived.  By the time I slogged through the remaining horrors of those first five books - “The Pentateuch,” I was pretty much exhausted.  Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy are filled with the genocidal rampages of the Israelites under the command of a vengance-inspired deity.  After reading about the relentless slaughter of innocent men, women, and children led by God on behalf of the territorial aspirations of his “chosen people,” I pretty much concluded that it was all wrtitten by people who were expressing their anger and frustration over their long suffering under various oppressors.  The Old Testament is mainly an imaginary history of gaining revenge for all the depradations suffered by the Hebraic people for centuries.  But it is more than “an eye for an eye...” they are seeking to extract; it is countless eyes for an eye; countless teeth for a tooth.  And even in this modern day, the Judeo-Christian thirst for eyes and teeth has yet to be slaked.  These people were deeply angry, and they poured out that anger in these scriptural fantasies.  The last straw, for me, though, was not found in the Pentateuch; it was in II Kings - Chapter 2, verses 23 & 24, to be exact.  A group of 40+ children spot a bald man and laugh at him.  God, noting, apparently, that this bald man was actually a clerical personnage of some sort, sent down a pair of bears to “tare” the children to shreds, which they subsequently did.  Not my kind of god.

Many Christian apologists dismiss the Old Testament in the light of both the preposterous events depicted, and in the savagery of its God.  They instead offer the seemingly more humane and marginally more believable New Testament as the true face of Christianity.  But, at its core, it is really no different.  All the Christians did was postulate slightly less grandiose miracles, and substitute Hell for the sword.  As for me, if I were to choose the mode of punishment for my apostasy, I would prefer the quick death provided in the Old Testament, than the eternal agony of the New Testament.

Yes, read the whole thing. The bible destroyed my belief in Jesus and the god of the OT.

It really surprised me how awful it was.  I don't understand how people can believe what it says.  Actually I do understand, and that saddens and scares me.  

If they have to believe in a god, why not one that is actually nice?  I guess there has to be fear involved for the control bit to work.  Still, is this the best that homo sapiens can do?  

Seems to me if god can write this whole damn thing, 800,000 words worth, and it's so unclear that you need help to study it properly, well then... god needs to take an expository writing class.

I've read the whole thing.  Admittedly I skimmed some really ramble-acious stuff.  (Isiah could throw a 60 chapter tantrum couldn't he?  Although historians now believe it was written by two or three people.)

I agree!  An omnipotent deity should be able to communicate perfectly.

I couldn't read the Psalms, or the rest of the book after Paul's rambling Letter.  Much like banging my head repeatedly against a brick wall, I felt much better when I stopped.

I've read it cover to cover twice, it's boring, inane, disturbing, and tedious. 

Yep, almost the whole thing. I could not read that psalms thing. So painfully boring. I really believe that if people were forced to read it, those crazy people that have never read much of it would go away!

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Philip Jarrett 21 minutes ago. 155 Replies

Blog Posts

Dead man's Switch

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 11:29pm 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.