Even the most ardent historian, male or female—citing Amazons and tribal matriarchies and Cleopatra—can’t conceal that women have basically done fuck all for the last 100,000 years. Come on—let’s admit it. Let’s stop exhaustingly pretending that there is a parallel history of women being victorious and creative, on an equal with men, that’s just been comprehensively covered up by The Man. There isn’t. Our empires, armies, cities, artworks, philosophers, philanthropists, inventors, scientists, astronauts, explorers, politicians and icons could all fit, comfortably into one of the private karaoke booths in SingStar. We have no Mozart; no Einstein; no Galileo; no Ghandi. No Beatles, no Churchill, no Hawking, no Columbus. It just didn’t happen.

Nearly everything so far has been the creation of men—and a liberal, right-on denial of it makes everything more awkward and difficult in the long run. Pretending that women have had a pop at all this before but ultimately didn’t do as well as the men, that the experiment of female liberation has already happened but floundered gives strength to the belief that women simply aren’t as good as men, full stop. That things should just carry on as they are—with the world shaped around, and honouring, the priorities, needs, whims, and successes of men. Women are over, without having even begun. When the truth is that we haven’t even begun at all. Of course we haven’t. We’ll know it when we have.

~Caitlin Moran

Do you agree or disagree with the above sentiment and statements, and why or why not?

-------------

NOTE: I'll be contrarian in the discussion, both because I find it fun, and also because echo chambers are boring.

Views: 1543

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh please.  To say that men don't actually 'listen' to 5 year old kids...and that men don't have empathy.  Now your third point I can't debate. 

I'll drink to that.

Newton, Einstein. QED

If you had cared reading beyond the enticing headline, you would have discovered that the actual question is if whether or not you agree with the statements and conclusions made by Moran, and why. But that, I know, requires reading. It's actually part of my incredibly devious and malign design, to see who cares for reading. I'm evil in that way I guess. 

And I believe the most powerful person throughout history has always been male. We can continue pointing out great men vs women, but according to Moran it should be possible to point out 5 males to every female, and still have quite a few males left once the female list runs dry. The statements never implies there are no great women, only that there are few great women. 

We now have a very free and open atmosphere with more women in colleges and universities than men (not to self: take some college courses), and yet where are the females in many fields. Women are present and accounted for in arts and letters and even in the sciences (anyone watch The Universe documentary show regularly?). And yet, where are the female architects, symphony composers, and mathematicians? Men and women, even in absolute freedom and with the same opportunities, seem to be drawn to one field of study or another based on their gender. The two sexes are hardwired to want different things, it seems. And when you reply, remember I'm talking statistically and in the aggregate. While some men and women may defy this characterization, they tend to be the exception that proves the rule. They stand out due to their being not the norm.

If you read all my posts on this subject, you won't find me saying that women are dumb or untalented, but rather that men and women have different brains and different inclinations even once all the barriers are removed.

I'm not here to devalue women just defend their differentness.

Well, that there are no more Newtons or Einsteins simply because Newtonian and Einsteinian physics, along with quantum physics, covers all the bases. What's left to discover is pretty obscure stuff. What is needed is an overarching theory stitching them all together or obviating them by explaining everything, and I'm sure scientists of both sexes are working on that grand theory and may have discovered it with the recent talk of string theory, membranes, multiple dimensions, and so on. We'll know if they can provide proof that more than a small handful of people can understand, or can provide concrete results implying the truth of the new theory.

As for the architects, symphony composers, and mathematicians, there are well-known people in all of those fields that those (few) interested in those fields are well aware of. Whether ordinary jills and joes know about them is beside the point.

behind every man is a woman!

So women behind men?

What about gay men?

The internet says there are loads, but I'd never heard that many of these were gay...

Casanova? 

Johann Joachim Winckelmann? Not Johann Joachim Winckelmann!!!!!

No shit!  Extraordinary list, I have absolutely no conviction that any of it is true, mind you.  Oscar Wilde, obviously - we all know that -  but I had never contemplated Alexander the Great's potential gay status, for example. 

Where do they find these things?

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 0 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 3 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service