Some people seem to believe that atheists are hateful. They think we don't care about anyone or anything that we just sit around making fun of religion and thinking that we are sooo much better then all the religious folks out there in the world. Here's my question: Are we hateful? Do we think we are so much better then the religious? If some of us are then why is it ok when that's what some or most evangelicals do??? Why be so intolerant? I understand some religious people try to sneak there religion into the government and that's wrong and we must fight that but not all of them want religion in the government. Some people feel that we are trying to push our unbelief onto them which isn't true, is it?

Views: 565

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice post. Bookmarked.

Good work Gallup.

Please! We are considered hateful if we politely try to beg off from hearing fundamentalist dogma. No, we have a right to NOT listen to blather. There is no way that simply by existing as an atheist, I'm a bully, or have no beliefs, or do not consider my fellow man. The ones spewing such drivel are the ones who believe freedom of religion means that everyone  should be coerced to believe as they.

They love religious freedom so much they want it all for themselves.

It's not so much that others want freedom of religion, instead they want only their beliefs to be  the ones that are heard in the marketplace of ideas.

These are the same people who used to whine that parents should inculcate religion. Now, they insist that they should be the people to coerce from the elementary school to college, at work, and in the businesses as well.

So, I feel I have not only the right to speak out, but the duty.

I think i will save time and use the format onyango makagutu has used, thanks dude!  As he says, I can only answer for myself.

• Are we hateful?

Not me. as a group though, I think atheists benifit from not having a religious doctrine which can be easily used to promote hate and segregation.

• Do we think we are so much better then the religious?

am i better as a person? no. Do i feel my views are better informed as they are based on reason and evidence? absolutely, yes

• If some of us are then why is it ok when that's what some or most evangelicals do?

again, in my mind, reason and evidence out weighs superstitious non sense

• Why be so intolerant?

I view myself as extremely tolerant.  I think religious people can do whatever they like, so long as they don't enforce their views on my or others that don't want it.  Unfortunately, this is exactly what organised religion aims to do.  I firmly view the indoctrination of children as tantamount to child abuse.

• I understand some religious people try to sneak there religion into the government and that's wrong and we must fight that but not all of them want religion in the government

Again, people have the right to believe what they want.  In politics though, you have to win an argument based on measurable evidence and not relevance religious teachings.

• Some people feel that we are trying to push our unbelief onto them which isn't true, is it?

I don't think so. If people are religious on a personal level, they are entitled to this.  However, when they start to try to enforce their views, that's a problem.

I would like to say, in addition to the answers I have given, atheism is not a belief structure. on the contrary, It is believing only that which you can see evidence of.  There is no one way to 'practice' atheism  and the people that call themselves atheist are as varied as you can imagine, with their their own views of the world.  you get good and bad atheists the same as you get good and bad religious people.

Good post! I share your opinion!

Do we think we are so much better then the religious?

Atheists represent the doubt of the believer personified. The theist has been conditioned to see non-believers as evil. It doesn't matter (to them) how we actually feel about them, why sweat it? They will never accept us until they become us.

Atheists are the most mistrusted minority in this country and I don't see that changing anytime soon. I think some theists see us as a threat to their beliefs so they lash out and label us as hateful narcissists while others can't fathom that we don't believe so they end up feeling sorry for us but neither ever tries to understand us. Personally, I can say that I have spent the better part of 8 years trying to understand the religious folks in my life - I want to know what makes them tick, how they're able to ignore reason and just believe.

I don't believe I'm hateful but I can admit to feeling superior to theists at times but I don't like that feeling, it just happens.

You see we are all one thing humans we are all smart in are own way's and we love to challenge people, Sometimes challenging people is okay but it sometimes gets out of hand. Yes we all are kinda the same everyone is hateful in someways, But its are nature. And without hate we wouldn't learn new thing's sometimes we need the bad to learn what's bad and do are best to stop.

So when someone says where hateful and better then other people just say with a smile "Aren't we all at some point in life?" If they say no there in denial and theirs no need to continue to talk with them if it angers you. Some people will never admit and some it takes time to admit but in the end the answer is yes we are at times. I don't think its okay i just think it's apart of life and learning but some don't some do.

I don't know about the government but i don't think religion will ever stop seeping into things, and as long as we fight to keep it to a limit then i believe we will be okay.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Blog Posts

Dead man's Switch

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 11:29pm 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com