Do you celebrate Halloween?

It is technically a religious festival started out pagan and now adopted by the church who are now claiming it to be the day of the devil. 

Tags: Halloween

Views: 447

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not really. It wasn't a custom in my country until very recently. It became common less than 10 years ago when american children tv and american corporations, as well as americans bringing the custom with them. Roughly at the same time the number of Protestant Christians started to increase. So it's been fun watching their rabid mouths about the evils of halloween and carnival.

I buy candy and leave the outside light on - but I've never had any kids stop by this place (perhaps because my door is around the side of the building).  If I had kids, I think I would enjoy finding interesting costumes for them, but perhaps I would be seen as a tyrant for strictly rationing their candy afterwards.

Here is a super cool Halloween costume that I think is brilliant:

cute!

Now that's adorable.

Cool video!

By far the coolest baby costume ever

sort of...it's one of my favorite holidays

we decorate for it and I wear my spooky jewelry all month

we don't dress up

it's more an excuse to buy pumpkins and act silly/make fun of people who believe in ghosts/laugh at "scary" B movies

not many kids come through our street so we end up eating all the candy afterward...that is the worst. i don't think we'll buy candy this year...we don't need the calories!

at work, we're all going to "dress up." for me, that just means poping on a tiny witch's hat 

I usually take the candy to work afterward.

I usually just buy a bag of candy and eat it myself.

good idea

Do you celebrate Halloween?

It's my favorite holiday because it marks the start of the coming holiday season, it calls for creativity in devising costumes and decorations, and there are no heavy religious trappings associated with it, except in ways that offend and annoy the religious to no end.

The annual pumpkin carving is looked forward to every year at my house. We go to the local pumpkin patch and pick them out, then come home and have at them. The seeds go in the oven for a delicious snack afterwards and the pumpkins go out on the porch with blinking LED lights inside them. My wife has a full-sized human skeleton from medical school that we put out on the second floor porch as well. I let my daughter paint my face each year-- which always seems like a good idea at the time-- before heading out for trick or treating. The local YMCA has a skate party where kids skate around the rink in costumes. Then of course, there is the candy, cupcakes, and other stuff we shouldn't eat, but do. I don't much care for slasher films, but zombies have a special place in my heart (provided they're groaning and shambling and not running and screaming). So sometimes, we'll watch one of the classics:

I've traditionally spent it getting drunk at a Halloween party and having sex with a "sexy bumblebee" or some such nonsensical thing. Of course this inevitably leads to the Thanksgiving abortion and Christmas depression. I hate Halloween.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Science Isn't About Truth

Started by Ari E. S. in Philosophy. Last reply by Davis Goodman 22 minutes ago. 9 Replies

Blog Posts

Dead man's Switch

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 11:29pm 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.