“Why do people say "grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding.” 
~Betty White~

What does it mean to be a feminist? What does it mean to be equal? What does it mean to be genuine? How do we fight for equal rights? How do we view ourselves as women in a world that at times seems completely against us?

Men: How do you fight for your ladies and pursue alongside equal rights. Human rights?

What does it really mean to be a feminist?

Views: 426

Replies to This Discussion

I just mean being an autonomous being, embracing individualism. Realizing that you don't have to go along with whatever bullshit storyline society wrote out for you. Studying, engaging, creating, teaching, inventing, discovering. Half the world's intellectual power is being wasted on having them breed kids, bake cake and do their nails or play dress-up. We wouldn't flush half our money down the toilet would we? Why don't we have any female atheist four horsemen? What's our excuse? Can you imagine Richard Dawkins declaring he's gonna stop writing books and biological studies, and instead focus on reading fashion magazines and making his husband happy? If Sam Harris told us that he wants to focus on knitting and decided to wear a veil? That would be hilariously ridiculous. So why do we let this shit slide with our potential female intellectuals?

And yes I agree that in most of the cases women just don't know better, that's how they were raised. That's awful. But sadly there are tons of women who even DO know better, who otherwise claim to be modern, free, self-respecting women - but then some braincells overheat and they tell still me shit like they'd give up school for a husband, or something along those lines. The same kind of people who can't read a fucking book or do their assigned homework without bitching, sighing and making sure to remind me about how much they'd rather be partying or god knows what every 10 seconds.

Those particular kind do seem quite stupid to me.

And I understand feminists' frustration with men, just as I'm bitching about women (not meaning all women). Yes sadly men are condescending to women, but the reason is that there almost is no other fucking way. Men aren't that smart themselves to begin with. But there are some girls out there who are basically semi-conscious cattle. So men assume the shepherd role. That wouldn't work if women wouldn't play along. Those extremist feminist think it's only men who have to change, wrong. Both have to do their part. Change has to start at home. No matter how macho a man wants to be, he could never dick around a confident smart woman. And I'm not talking about the BS hollywood version of a confident woman, which is basically some hot chick with big tits in spandex and a "yeah I'M a gurl and I just beat U UHP!" attitude, or the lame-ass comedian type who just try to emulate men and have that "yeah I'm a chick who just talked about sex and farting" attitude. I'm talking about confidence in things that matter, like knowledge and intelligence. For the lack of a better example coming to mind; do you think someone like Ayn Rand would take shit from a man? I doubt it.

I hope arch doesn't catch me writing this much again.

As an Afrikaans woman I find men my age still think that we have to be taken care of, this I don't like. Afrikaner men still cling to the traditional idea of what a mans role is.  I don't want to be treated differently. I can do most of the things men can do. I do accept my strenght limits me. I just want the freedom to be me

If I look at what I do on a daily basis, as a working woman, I study, I have two children with medical problems take care of the home. Most of my life I have bean the sole bread winner. I refuse to be inferiour or treated in such a manner. And I have this theory that in a lot of religions men need to supres woman not only out of ignorance but out of fear, as we are capable of doing anything. I think it is also the fear of not fealing needed and the male ego. Through centurys they have been made to belief, that you are only truly a real man if you are the provider for your family. You are the head of the houshold. My partner once made a yoke he told his friens. "She might be the head, but I am the neck that turns the head" I laughed. and replied " I am the heart beath without me the neck can not turn" As in our home I am the heartbeat. I think it is complicated and not easy for people to let go of the old, the beliefs that has been laid down through the ages but progress is made.

If reincarnation was true I would prefer to come back as a man in my next life. I would love to clock out of work and be done for the day. When I clock out I clock in at home, not even out of the car then whats for supper. Have to sit up with the sick kids, sort out their arguements, get laundry done, Help with homework, deal with their emotional promlems, know where that peace of paper is that they wrote a phone number on, know where they put the screwdriver down. AS a woman I have to give of myself 24 hours a day. And in my home I am the one that's always calm and I don't have moods, so lets not be tierd or have the flue as the house comes to a standstill. And lets not spent 5 minutes more of your time on one person then you have three others telling you that they feel unloved or rejected. And what does dad do get of work , sit infront of tv or computer, and if the children ask him something "I don't know, ask your mother" So I have decided that in my next life if I am born and look down and notice I dont have the right equipment, I will through the umbilical cord around my neck and roll of the theater table. NOTE I don't belief in reincarnation I just sometimes need humor to deal with my day

"I believe that women's gains will be men's gains too."  From my perspective the biggest problem is violence and abuse of women by men, and again from my perspective, this is caused by cowardly, emotionally illiterate men.  To hang onto power like a spoiled little boy does not do you any good.  How do you actually fight violence and bullying?  In the context of gender politics, it's a complex issue that affects everybody.  All the strong women I know have a real problem finding strong men.  The usual story is that the men get resentful of having to share the power, so they make problems instead of stepping up.  It takes a strong man to step up to true equality.  This basically implies that the decision is in the hands of men - but the solution is everybody's. 

RSS

Discussion Forum

Do you let your guy cum inside you?

Started by Sophie. Last reply by James Cox Aug 28, 2013. 89 Replies

Domestic Violence Solutions...

Started by Belle Rose. Last reply by Tom Sarbeck May 12, 2013. 45 Replies

WHY must we wear a bra?

Started by Belle Rose. Last reply by RockyShukura Apr 24, 2013. 57 Replies

Grow a Vagina!

Started by Belle Rose. Last reply by Simon Paynton Mar 27, 2013. 24 Replies

Female and Atheist

Started by Belle Rose. Last reply by Belle Rose Mar 19, 2013. 87 Replies

Blog Posts

coexist

Posted by aubrey knows nothing * on October 23, 2014 at 9:25pm 1 Comment

A Life-Changing Confrontation

Posted by Belle Rose on October 23, 2014 at 2:55am 7 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service