http://rationalists.wordpress.com/2010/07/20/islamic-cultural-centr...

This is the final straw. How many died at Ground Zero. I cannot imagine how I would feel knowing that people will be praying at the very site to a god who through their belief of him had a part in this evil event,..if I had lost a loved one.
 Is this the beginning of the end.
 What do you think?

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yet another "sign of victory" claim, which is baseless and teeming with paranoia. One could call it a sign of victory, if Muslims built mosques where they defeated enemies, but it's NOT a mosque, so that claim is invalid and baseless.
Next they'll claim any American soil as being "Ground Zero". So many catchy misnomers.
I was kind of surprised. I love Sam Harris, but I can't follow him here.
I've never read much of Sam Harris, but I have heard and seen him get things wrong on a few occasions.
Thanks to 9 pages of this discussion, you probably didn't see that that video was already posted. But it's still an important video that should be on EVERY page, and seen by everybody.
It looks like we are not all going to agree but isnt this the point.
I like Sam Harris but there again I cannot agree with everything he says, which is logical and reasonable, but I feel that he is a spokesman for me as my voice will not be heard.
Dont lets go dishing someone just because we do not agree with their comments every time.
Arent we all on the same side trying to make the World a better place for our children to grow up in, and surely religion does ask you to believe with question.
Cracked dot com has a good article titled 3 Reasons the “Ground Zero Mosque” Debate Makes No Sense.

An excerpt:

For the uninitiated, there are plans to construct an Islamic Community center in lower Manhattan. And, of course, lower Manhattan is where the World Trade Center stood before terrorists destroyed it, thereby murdering 3,000 Americans. I was working in New York City at the time. As was my father. As was my pregnant wife. I remember the day well. And the days that followed. I think most of all, I remember standing on the Staten Island Ferry, coming home with 200 other silent, reverent New Yorkers of every age, race, and religion, as we watched our city still smoldering a full week later. And it is with this backdrop that I can say to every politician spouting off and opposing the construction of this Islamic community center: “Shut up. Go away. You hate America.”

I’m talking about people like professional political tumor, Newt Gingrich, and future worst President ever, Sarah Palin, who have both slammed supporters of the Islamic community center with rhetoric so flawed, I’m afraid even linking to it might impair your computer’s higher functioning circuits. But it’s not just them. Due to the wave of misinformation being spread, apparently 68% of Americans also oppose the mosque.

How did this happen? Well, basically a complacent or a complicit media helped perpetuate three ideas that are either outright lies or intellectually dishonest arguments designed to bring out the very worst in all of us. And as you continue to hear them–and you will–take out this column which you will have already printed and laminated, and recite thusly:
The Daily Show does a good job summarizing my sentiments on the issue. From Obama's backpedaling to Beck's absurd hypocrisy, Stewart and Company are always on the ball.

The Daily Show With Jon Stewart Mon - Thurs 11p / 10c
Mosque-Erade
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full Episodes Political Humor Tea Party
A shining example of when the majority is wrong and why we should be thankful that the United States is a nation ruled by law, not popular opinion. Otherwise, my wife would have to stay at home on election days and keep watch over the slaves.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Blog Posts

Dead man's Switch

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 11:29pm 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com