http://rationalists.wordpress.com/2010/07/20/islamic-cultural-centr...

This is the final straw. How many died at Ground Zero. I cannot imagine how I would feel knowing that people will be praying at the very site to a god who through their belief of him had a part in this evil event,..if I had lost a loved one.
 Is this the beginning of the end.
 What do you think?

Views: 202

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The debate here is perceived symbolism. The people who want to put up the mosque/community center say they have no ill intent. Until that's proven otherwise, I'm inclined to believe them.

Plus, there's the whole issue of religious freedom in the U.S.
I don't think so. No one demands that Christian churches be razed or prevented from being built when some lunatic with a Bible and a gun goes on a rampage. This is selectively targeting Muslims. In group versus out group. And in the U.S., the Muslims are the out group.

We can honor the dead by continuing to set aside places for them, but soon there will be no place for the living.
Well put Reggie.
At least on think atheist we can have free discussion.
I don't think anyone will EVER forget what happened on 9/11 at the hands of religious extremism. With that being said, I don't think it's right to demonize an entire group of people like many Americans love to do nowadays. The building they are renovating has been abandoned for a while. I think we should support them in their endeavor and quit engaging in anti-American behavior and attitudes.
I am from the UK and do not agree that the American Atheists want to demonize anyone, as I believe that they just want what is best for the future peace of America and of the whole World.
I would love to support the building, but I hope for all our sakes that this is not the beginning of disagreements between people and thus develop in to making the future volatile.
Elaine, I think your concern is valid. However, I also think there may be a big difference between Muslims in the U.S. and Muslims in the U.K. I don't know that, but I suspect that it is true.

According to my quick Google research, there are about 2.4 million Muslims in Britain today out of a total population of 61 million. In the United States, the Muslim population is about 1.6 million out of 308 million. That makes a huge difference in how influential Islam can ever be in the U.S. I think the dynamics are different here which is why you have, justifiably so from your perspective, more concern over this than many Americans do.
I think Reggie makes a good point and I would like to go one step further. Certain Muslims building a mosque at or near Ground Zero does not exert any real Muslim influence over America. I am from the Midwest and rarely make it to the New York City, let alone the East Coast. My point is that this mosque will never be viewed by most Americans, except on Fox News once it is erected and opened for business (because the media made controversy makes for "good news"). It will not effect most Americans in their everyday lives and therefore cannot possibly have any influence over the majority of the population, except that which is currently being fabricated by the Christian Right.
Plus, it's no more a mosque than the YMCA is a church.
And it's not on Ground Zero but blocks away.
How do they know what god wants, does he talk to them whilst looking the other way when millions of Parkinstans inhabitants are drowned and lose their homes. Isnt he great.As the Bible says...death if you do not believe in a fictional god, it seems that also means death if you believe in a god..

An awesome video from Cenk Uygur, guest hosting on MSNBC, about the basic truth of putting up a mosque near Ground Zero.

This is a wholly conservative fear. Republicans everywhere are the ones who are up in arms over this, and are trying to convince everybody they can get their hands on that Muslims are somehow (1) all evil, and (2) exempt from the freedom of religion clause of the First Amendment to our Constitution.
I really don’t understand why there is a debate amongst fellow atheist on this issue. While most would agree it’s good to live in a country where people have the freedom to build a church/synagogue/or mosque ………….
We would never recommend it :) Right?

RSS

© 2019   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service