Greetings everyone!

For a long time I've browsed this site to watch many of the great videos that are posted here on a regular basis.  Seems like a great active community that I'd love to be a part of.

A little bit about me:

I am an ex-Christian atheist who lives in the Bible Belt.  I was raised (indoctrinated) into the Southern Baptist denomination from early childhood.  (For those of you unfamiliar with Southern Baptists, it's a very conservative fundamentalist denomination that tends to favor fiery sermons that mention "fearing god", hellfire, eternal damnation, and the like.)

I know my parents and my family meant well, (as I'm sure most religious parents do, albeit misguided). After attending college and moving away to start a new career I became exposed to a more diverse culture and differing viewpoints on politics and religion.

For years I struggled with doubt, and eventually shed my faith years ago.  I've only recently come out of the closet about my atheism to my closest family.  With regards to my other friends, family, and co-workers--they don't know.  Topic for another discussion I suppose.

So, I'll likely be asking for some good advice on these forums in the near future.  I'm excited to be a part of the community!

-Nate

Views: 14

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the site Nate. Glad to have you here and look forward to reading and possibly responding to your future topics.
Hello Nate!

I'm also fairly new to ThinkAtheist but it sounds like we have very similar backgrounds. I hope the site is as helpful for you as it has been for me!
Welcome to the site Nate, and thanks for sharing your story!
Welcome to TA!

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service