Hi all,

I'm happy to join in such a bright community and would like to introduce myself very briefly.

I am from Turkey and as you could guess I was grown up in a muslim society. I thought I was a muslim but I always had ever-lasting questions in my mind. I was wondering why I find the idea of God strange and not reasonable. In a period of time I was actually trying to be a believer since every single friend of mine was so. I even went to Mosque many times with my friends and fast several years (not eating in Ramadan). To get answers to my questions I was talking to imams after pray. None of them liked my questions and eventually they told my friend not to take me to the Mosque anymore. Well, now I feel thankful to them.

I have always been intrigued in biology both practically and theoretically. When I encountered different stories of "creation of life",I got even bigger questions. Then one day I read Quran at the age of 16. It took just 20 pages to start drawing smiles next to the ridiculous passages (Well, after a while I had to stop it because it was taking more time than reading.)Having read the Quran, I put myself in a race to know all about religion history. Therefore, if you ask "what did make you an atheist ?" I dont sayt "Dawkins" but Quran. The best atheist-maker books are the sacred books,with a little requirement: "Ability to think". Anyway, then I got to know the grim history if Turks made muslim by sword in extremely barbaric ways. Knowing more about muslims and their goals made it so easy to understand religious/political issues all over the World.

When I picked "Selfish Gene" in the same year, as the next book to read about biology, something much more amazing and beautiful started to be clear. Life itself. 

Right now I am not living in Turkey (its quite hard to stand ignorance) and working in Europe as a software engineer hoping that one day I switch to my dream job, evolutionary biologist.

Cheers !

Views: 255

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yup, Turkey's a shithole.

Welcome.

As Utah Philipes once said, 'Utah is a great place to excape from.'

Should we add Turkey?

Hey James, you've been missed!  Hope all is well.

Thank you.

Welcome to TA

Thank you.

Welcome to TA :)

Thank you.

Welcome to TA! I like that your religious text made you an atheist. :)

Thank you.

Welcome, Melih Tiftik. I especially enjoy hearing introductions from former Muslims, as it seems courageous to abandon such a barbaric and misogynistic a religion.

Were you ever in any danger from asking unpopular questions that made you unwelcome in the mosque?

Actually I have never been a former muslim, I was just trying to convince myself that I was. Naturally I was feeling weird not to believe while everyone around me believes.

Well, when I was around 13 years old I was banned from several mosques since I was asking questions that possibly ignite more questions in their minds which is very dangerous for their faith. 

When I was leading a community defending secularism, feminism, revolutions ..etc I was threaten several times by Islamist. But nothing bad happened.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Zachary L. Hagedorn 18 minutes ago. 168 Replies

Blog Posts

Seeing the man in the child.

Posted by Diane on April 19, 2014 at 9:52am 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.