Hi all,

I'm happy to join in such a bright community and would like to introduce myself very briefly.

I am from Turkey and as you could guess I was grown up in a muslim society. I thought I was a muslim but I always had ever-lasting questions in my mind. I was wondering why I find the idea of God strange and not reasonable. In a period of time I was actually trying to be a believer since every single friend of mine was so. I even went to Mosque many times with my friends and fast several years (not eating in Ramadan). To get answers to my questions I was talking to imams after pray. None of them liked my questions and eventually they told my friend not to take me to the Mosque anymore. Well, now I feel thankful to them.

I have always been intrigued in biology both practically and theoretically. When I encountered different stories of "creation of life",I got even bigger questions. Then one day I read Quran at the age of 16. It took just 20 pages to start drawing smiles next to the ridiculous passages (Well, after a while I had to stop it because it was taking more time than reading.)Having read the Quran, I put myself in a race to know all about religion history. Therefore, if you ask "what did make you an atheist ?" I dont sayt "Dawkins" but Quran. The best atheist-maker books are the sacred books,with a little requirement: "Ability to think". Anyway, then I got to know the grim history if Turks made muslim by sword in extremely barbaric ways. Knowing more about muslims and their goals made it so easy to understand religious/political issues all over the World.

When I picked "Selfish Gene" in the same year, as the next book to read about biology, something much more amazing and beautiful started to be clear. Life itself. 

Right now I am not living in Turkey (its quite hard to stand ignorance) and working in Europe as a software engineer hoping that one day I switch to my dream job, evolutionary biologist.

Cheers !

Views: 257

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First, Malih, "Hi!" and welcome! We hope you'll find a second home here.

Secondly, be advised that Think Atheist has a group dedicated strictly to ex-Muslims - there is a young lady who posts there from time to time, an ex-Muslim from Saudia Arabia, who goes by the name of "Hope" that you might want to meet, get to know, and friend.

Lastly, if you haven't signed the petition yet for the young Pakistani girl, Malala Yousef, please go here, and if you find it is something you'd like to do, please sign it - we are SO close to the million signatures we need! https://secure.avaaz.org/en/malalahopenew/?aXQmmeb

Thank you ! :) 

I already signed for that.

OK, I will get in contact with her.

Actually I dont find "ex-Muslim" term right. Most of those claiming to be ex-muslims, have never been muslim. They just discovered that they are not. And get rid of the label of "muslim" that they had when were born. That's a nice topic and I am planning to write about it and share here.

Welcome to TA fellow Ex Muslim!

Thank you !  (I ve actually never been a muslim, just discovered 12 years ago that I was not at all) :)

lol i like that way of thinking

Hi Josh,

Unfortunately I have not read it because I could not find it even though I tried hard. Perhaps you could help me with that ? :)

@Melih - Welcome - I just luv ex muslims to join us. It would be one of the, if not the hardest religions to be free of. Many christians have also become Atheists, because of the bible. That is all they have to do, read the whole thing, and not cherry pick.

Thank you :)

Definitely Suzanne. It is the hardest religion to be free of, considering its violence. 

Were you ever in physical  danger being a non-believer in a muslim country?  

No I was not. I think it is because I was living in the most liberal city in Turkey. It could have been very dangerous in the east part. Physical danger is getting more and more serious in Turkey.

Police is beating students standing for secularism, science and freedom of speech with the direct order of the government.

Alevi's and their homes are labeled, they even attempted to burn their homes. Eventhough they believe in the same god. Well, burning people is not sth new for Turkish Islamists. They burnt 33 people (free-thinkers, Alevi's, authors..) setting the hotel they stay to fire. They went to this hotel just after Friday pray in Mosque, reading some Arabic text (none of them knew what it means, it could be a cookie receipt but its Arabic sound is enough for them to get motivated to kill someone).

Islam is taken the country back with its nature: fascism, racism and intolerance.

Islamist deny cremating dead bodies, they prefer to burn alive.

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 0 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 4 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service