In Japanese,  お大事に is a common phrase that's read as "odaijini"  and it means "take care of your health".

But when you enter this text into google translate,  it translates into English as "God bless you"

I hope I can ask your help to use the "Contribute a better translation" feature  to correct this great mistake.

Tags: error, translation

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hmm. It is hard.

Google translates into what people will understand. The god bless phrase is very popular in English speaking countries.

However, I think the better phrase would be: "Bless you."

Can we do something about it?
Ye of little faith. Don't you know you can find equilibrium with Google Translate?
I like Lexilogos. It's more an aggregator than a translation tool, but it aggregates them in an easy-to-use way.
I use it a lot for a blog I do that covers the world. I have to search for news in other languages and I have to say that it continues to improve. There will always be difficulties in translations. I did a literal translation once in my head in Czech that makes people crack up. I knew Cow, eat, and grass. I said Krava ji trava which translates perfectly in Google. But for four years I've constantly heard... "Say it again!" from Czech people. It's completely incorrect structure and tense. At least it gets a good laugh.
You're right - that is bad. What English speakers who don't know Japanese may fail to understand is that this expression isn't used, for example, after someone sneezes. (The Japanese generally don't say anything after someone sneezes. If anything, the person who does it may apologize.)

Instead, odaijini is used when you learn that someone is sick, for example, with a cold. You might say it to them as you say goodbye. Nurses or receptionists at clinics often say this to you when you leave, even if you aren't actually sick (e.g., if it's an IVF clinic).

RSS

Blog Posts

What do you do with the anger?

Posted by dataguy on September 20, 2014 at 5:12pm 3 Comments

Aftermath

Posted by Belle Rose on September 20, 2014 at 2:42am 5 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service