I cannot participate in a forum where I am censored. The admins here are censoring my right to free speech out of a ridiculous sense of PC-soaked idiocy (based probably on requests for censorship raised by Reg the Fronkey Farmer and Gallup's Mirror)

The fact that the welfare state induces dysgenics based on IQ has been proven many times over. Human biological diversity is also true. If I am not even allowed argue my case, then what is the point of having a debate? I am not even allowed to reply to accusations of racism that have been levelled against me.

I have no doubt that Reg and Gallup will continue thinking of themselves as open-minded even after this incident - they have the ability to believe whatever it is they want to believe.

Views: 909

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

lol

@Gregg:

RE: Sticks and stones may break my bones
But words will never harm me.

First of all, that's a crock of shit.

Second of all, Reg made it clear of his reasons for suspending the discussion and it had nothing to do with his own "offense" to what was said, but to uphold his duties as moderator to protect those who might be offended or who may not have the critical thinking skills to see through the immensely flawed rhetoric.

Not everyone is afforded such luxuries to be invincible to verbal assault, or the intelligence to discipher the meaning behind the words that were spoken. And not everyone let's things roll off their shoulders as easily as you Gregg.

I don't consider what happened a form of censorship. It's just a one off situation where things were getting out of hand. Civ decided to leave TA for his own reasons, but that doesn't mean he was a victim of censorship or that we should feel like there was an injustice done TO him. When an adult makes a statement he/she is responsible for the consequences that follow.

@ Belle Rose:

"First of all, that's a crock of shit."

I'm so emotionally hurt and offended that a single tear is currently rolling down my left check and I'm now contemplating suicide by getting naked, covering myself with honey and laying on an Fire ant hill.

OR

I could choose to accept your words as just words and any intent behind them as yours and not mine.  I can choose to not internalize your intent and make it mine and thereby remain emotionally disengaged from any and all emotional pain that I might otherwise experience.

I choose option #2, it's an exhilarating feeling to be in complete control of my emotions, I recommend it to all.

Sticks and stones may break my bones
But words will never harm me.

The fact that this little rhyme exists shows that children need re assurance not to take 'words' to heart, which in turn shows that words can and do cause emotional distress to people on  a very basic level.  In turn then, emotional distress can cause physical harm if experienced for long enough.

I'd rather face the ugliness of humanity on the open plain, under the light of reason and logic, in the full view of all.

I completely agree with this point though, I guess I'd be caught between the two points.  Really I haven't given the topic much thought in the past, and will enjoy doing so now :)

I guess there is a middle ground, things could be taken away from immediate view, but still be view able in an archive that comes with a warning.  This would allow the helpless browser not to be offended, but not remove material so it could still be viewed, discussed and debated.  Just thinking out loud really at this point.

@David Smith:

RE:

"The fact that this little rhyme exists shows that children need re assurance not to take 'words' to heart, which in turn shows that words can and do cause emotional distress to people on  a very basic level."

Well put David very good analysis.

We use that nursery rhyme with children to give them the power to reject any emotional pain when Johnny calls them a 'Poopoo Head' at school.

George Carlin's quote is aimed at adults.

I'm on a website talking to adults who are acting like children by responding like Pavlov's dogs upon hearing a word (I better get ready for the slings and arrows for that observation*).

(*Ya'll please be kind with your retorts.)  :)

"...  In turn then, emotional distress can cause physical harm if experienced for long enough."

Very true, which is an excellent reason for a person who reacts to words with an emotion response and change that paradigm.

RE: George Carlin:
They're just words they can't hurt you.

You remind me of Arch. I'm sad he doesn't post anymore. But I like your attitude Gregg. Keep the George Carlin quotes coming. He's hilarious! Even though it's NOT true! If word didn't hurt verbal abuse wouldn't be one of THE worst forms of violence towards another person.
I've had my ass kicked on TA SEVERAL times, and I know how it feels. But there comes a point when people aren't listening to one another. I feel like Civ was very set in his ways and his point of view, and honestly thought he was "speaking the truth" to us. The sad thing is that he will have left TA now more deeply rooted in his convictions than ever before.
Gregg: RE: I could choose to accept your words as just words and any intent behind them as yours and not mine.  I can choose to not internalize your intent and make it mine and thereby remain emotionally disengaged from any and all emotional pain that I might otherwise experience.
I choose option #2, it's an exhilarating feeling to be in complete control of my emotions, I recommend it to all.

I do understand what you are saying, and it's true. But not everyone has reached that level. It takes a strong person to be able to say that (and truly mean it). Many women (myself included) care far too much of what others think of them, and it takes a long time to break that cycle of thinking. I've gotten a lot better but not out of the woods yet. It doesn't come overnight. Just sayin'...

Smartass :-)

@Belle Rose:

" ...it takes a long time to break that cycle of thinking. I've gotten a lot better..."

Bingo, it's called a paradigm.  Steven Covey has a great story about paradigm shift in his book 'Seven Habits of Highly Effective People', it's about a guy in hospital waiting room.  The way he tells the story the reader will have the same paradigm shift as they read the story as the guy in the hospital waiting room had. It's a wonderful story and lesson.

When I experienced that paradigm shift, I realized I was in control of my own paradigms, I OWN MY OWN MIND...I HAVE FREE WILL!

I now control my emotional states, no one but me controls my thoughts or my mind...it's sooooo liberating.

Albert E. said to break a habit it takes 11 times doing the new thing before it becomes the new habit (I'm paraphrasing).

The more I don't allow myself to have an emotional response to the intent of others the easier and more fun it becomes.

Enjoy the journey toward self-control, it's so exhilarating it should be illegal. :)       

Gregg.....again

RE: Bingo, it's called a paradigm.  Steven Covey has a great story about paradigm shift in his book 'Seven Habits of Highly Effective People'

Yah, I read it a while ago. I agree. And yes, self-discovery is amazing. Self-control/self discovery, it goes hand in hand. But there are LOTS of people who struggle with it. That's all I'm saying.

Honestly, Civ, I'm surprised you lasted this long. I expected your account to suspended within the first week of your first post. I thought for sure you'd shoot yourself in the foot sooner rather than later.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Zachary L. Hagedorn 30 minutes ago. 162 Replies

Blog Posts

Seeing the man in the child.

Posted by Diane on April 19, 2014 at 9:52am 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.