whats your best definition to the word God and how do you see this topic

Views: 1317

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He states that Handel's "Messiah" didn't compose itself, it had a creator, which of course, we know to be Handel. Then we must ask, who created Handel, and you would likely say, "god," to which I would ask, who created god - you, of course, would say, no one created god, he just always was, but your only evidence for this, is a book written thousands of years ago by superstitious men who had no idea how the the world they lived in, worked.

The man himself said that nothing can exist that doesn't have its cause outside itself - there is no logical reason as to why that same rule wouldn't have to apply to a god, and as old what's-his-face says above, even if one believed a "god" did it, there's no way of demonstrating which god, and throughout history, superstitious Mankind has invented thousands of them.

His is a tired, old argument that has been put to rest time and time again, yet sooner or later, some YouTube theist trots it out, dusts it off, and tries to palm it off on the naive and unsuspecting as some kind of valid proof.

Interesting:

Human Enzyme? I think he sounds good, but is thin on details.

I might accept each one of this primary points, but since the idea of 'god' is most likely a human construct. It seems more likely that the human mind might not be up to the 'origin' question, and the 'god' concept just stands in for the awareness of a deep ignorance. 

I can see no reason to assume that the human mind is not up to moral/ethical theory or decision making. Given the degree to which we fail at our attempts, is seems that the program is very human and very difficult.

And to assume that the universe can not make life from common matter, due to 'complexity', seems false since given the vast history of this universe, such large numbers mentioned seem small by comparison. Life may be rare, but planets common. The materials needed for life, as we know it, are available, but liquid water might be hard to come by. Given the present count of more than 1000 known planets outside our solar system, and the few that might offer near earth-like conditions, it seems more a matter of time till earth's twin is discovered. Given the number of niches that life on our planet can fill, there might be as many as ten other moons in our solar system that might harbor life. I am very optimistic that the wonder of life will be satisfied elsewhere as exploration is pursued. 

I fear that ignorance once again makes an appearance as wisdom.      

Bear in mind, James, that at one point in time, religion implied that this was the only planet there was - time, science, and subsequently, technology, proved that not to be the case.

I strongly suspect that such advances in knowledge is why right-wing theists like Rick Santorum, maintain that higher education is not necessarily a good thing - once you eat of that apple called knowledge, it's kinda hard to forget what you've learned.

When PSU, OSU, or other respected colleges have a Department of Intelligent Design Studies, or someone looks into an Electron Microscope and finds 'God' winking back at him with pictures, it might be time to seek spiritual help!

I see the Religious Right as a threat to Democracy and National Security! Given the degree to which the theists have influenced culture, I am very surprised that the military does not have a 'Prayer Bomb' department. 

A cognitive misfiring, a sickness born of fear and false consolation. 

Gods were traditionally used for subjugation, and still are, but at some point we became so comfortable and lazy that they became a crutch. Also, I don't think we should be saying it in the singular and capitalizing it. It promotes exclusivity, and that's kind of how we got in this mess in the first place.

Used for subjugation? How far back are you talking? Your assertion implies that there used to be atheists who didn't believe in any deity/deities to the extent that they didn't feel it was a risk to use them for personal ends.

I think true atheism rears its head sometime around the Renaissance.

I was thinking cavemen (but noted).

The... Greek Renaissance?

History of God for children in the year 2112.

Good morning children. Next term we will be starting a foundation course in quantum physics for 7 year olds. We will just do some easy concepts like Energy = mass. The more massive an object the more energy it has and the greater the force it exerts on other nearby objects. It is a bit like the old theories of gravity before Einstein and the concept of spacetime. Before that nobody really knew how things worked so they invented things called gods to explain them.

As we look back it may seem silly that so many grown-ups could believe that some of these gods “made everything” and would make you immortal like them when you died if you just believed such fables. No, really they did believe such things! Some actually believed that they could communicate directly with the Creator of the Universe by telepathy or prayer as they called it. Over the ages there were thousands of these gods but gradually as people became educated these beliefs faded. Some persisted for a few more years and led to brutal wars between believers. Many of them even tried to blame those that did not believe in their gods for all the problems that their religions caused. We have consigned these gods to the history books.

The Internet played its part too in removing the fear and doubts that many believers had. That’s all gods are now; A representation of the times when mankind lived in ignorance. Ok children enjoy the midterm break and see you all back on Earth in a few months.

As Monte Burns woujld say, "Excellent --"

@kris - the long answer is a great bit of work. Good one.

'God', a vaporous emmanation from a theist mouth piece, spoken loudly, with great fan fair, and excess emphatic intonations. If it was not for the noise, we could safely ignore the output. 

RSS

Events

Services we love!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service