As a species, when we were younger we anthropomorphised everything. In other words, we translated externalities through our own experience. Hence God in our image etc.

Anthropomorhising is the only way we can relate to something that is outside of our understanding: by dressing it up in a framework we do understand.

The tenets of science rejects anthropomorphising. Objective observations only. Not easy but we are trying.

My point is this: I think having a deity is important, a higher source to inspire, comfort and offset ego.

But why do we not use the one thing that LITERALLY makes us, houses us, feeds us, protects us and offers us so much wonder and inspiration? Earth. 

Why is Earth not our principal god? There would be no atheists if it were. There would also be no elitism and I think that has to be the point. Obfuscation is the truth behind power.

Principal god: Earth (not even going to anthropomorphise it into her into Gaia)

Tags: Earth, God, actual, belief, literal, obvious

Views: 638

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lol!! Gracias Arch

No ay de que, mija --

Nicely put, Belle.

Thanks Dave :)

RE: "I think having a deity is important, a higher source to inspire, comfort and offset ego."

It's not the Ego you need concern yourself about offsetting, it's the Id, and you have just such a deity, built in, it's called the Super-ego, directing you to what you "should," "must," "s'posed to" do, then you have a built-in arbitrator between the two - THAT's the function of the Ego, to arbitrate between the childlike, ("I want what I want, and I want it NOW!") Id, and the moralizing Superego.

You need only look inside yourself for your deity, Grasshopper, you are self-contained.

I think having a deity is important, a higher source to inspire, comfort and offset ego.

Hmm. What's inspirational about God? He's mean, jealous, immature, and certainly doesn't care much about us humans. He lets children be abused and run over by cars. He gives/allows people to die horrific deaths from cancer, Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, and other diseases. He deforms babies in the womb. Where's the inspirational material there?

I think I covered the comfort issue pretty well there, too. 

Yes, I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy now, thank you.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 4 minutes ago. 126 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service