Maybe this is a silly topic for discussion, but does anyone else find this awkward?

It is the closing of a conversation (phone or live) and right before the other person hangs up or walks away they say, "god* bless you."

I usually say, "Thank you," or "You take care"; but it almost always catches me off guard.

Since it is at the closing of a discussion, it seems odd to reopen the conversation to tell (or remind them) that I am an atheist and do not believe in god. When a stranger says, "god bless you", it hardly seems worth it to even have that discussion at all. If it is not a stranger, of course I never remember to bring it up to that person until the next conversation tag, "god bless you", pops up again.

The assumption of other people think that I am christian* does irk me, 

* In writing this post I have decided god and christan do not deserve capitalization. Spell check! I defy you!

Views: 401

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I feel the same exact way sometimes. It doesn't bother me much because I'm used to it.
But sometimes I'm tempted to bring up that I am an atheist and I don't really approve of being blessed by an unreal figure.
I just say "Same!". In my home language it doesn't sound so awkward.

"God bless you!"
"Same!"
I don't often hear that used in that manner. But, the few times I have been told that, I typically respond with a quizzical expression and ask them "who?".
Nice! I'll definitely borrow that. :)
Works well for those who have momentarily forgotten that you are an atheist. After a confused moment they say "oh, oh yeah".
Ach for gods sake guys lol (whatever that means to) :)
"The assumption of other people think that I am christian* does irk me, "

I agree with that, but I usually just ignore it. It doesn't happen often to me, but if it did, I'd just figure it was just a habit.
My Dad says this to me all the time. When I first told him I was an atheist, it was after nearly every convo. Then I just responded with "you, too".

The amount he says it has dropped a lot, but now I pretty much just ignore it, anyways. I usually just reply with "love you, Dad" and leave it at that.

In general I really do just ignore it. I actually got it from an atheist once who said it to me and then looked so embarrassed. I just started laughing. I think it's become so ingrained into our culture that it's entirely lost it's meaning. I doubt they're assuming that you're a Christian (for starters, Jews also say "God bless")... in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't even assuming you were a believer. "God bless" has all but replaced "good bye" and "see ya' later" as the end-of-conversation salutation.

I believe Billy Joel wishes people "God bless", and, unless I'm much mistaken, he's an atheist...
everyone seems to hear this a lot...I don't think I ever heard it in this context.
Yes...I never know what to say....people around here often say that when another person sneezes...occasionally I can't stop the sneeze in the company of those types so I must admit I say, "thank you" which is the customary response....
You may want to confess...
lol...you're right..it does make me feel like a hypocrite...where it usually takes place is at my business by customers...so what can I do?

RSS

Forum

What would happen...

Started by Griffin Buckerfield in Small Talk. Last reply by Simon Mathews 3 hours ago. 5 Replies

The Shinto Flower among the Weeds of Religion

Started by Cato Rigas in Advice. Last reply by Simon Mathews 3 hours ago. 4 Replies

Awe struck

Started by Davis Goodman in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 21 hours ago. 15 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 1 Comment

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service