Let's have some fun. Play god's advocate. I thought this would be easier. Arguing for god is not easy, especially if you don't use the holy books. My best shot.

(A) I just feel god, in my heart.

I went like this for years until I admitted to myself that I was talking to myself. I was probably a result of childhood indoctrination. It' a weak argument.

(B) There has to be eternal "justice"; what is the point of being a good person. Why not just be a thief and do what ever you want to make yourself happy?

This is the best argument for god, I think. What "goes around-comes around" here on earth, but not always. Granted, it is just wishful thinking that fairness is somehow owed to us.

(C) Something had to create all this

I went with this for a while. Then I figured out that it is "small thinking" and an imposition of our limited life experience.

That's all I got. Take away the divinity of the holy books and its a hard sell. What is your best argument for the existence of god?

Views: 2163

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just want to hijack this thread long enough to wish everyone a Happy Columbus Day!

I quess I would have to say that I know nothing of 'god'. Trying to say something about 'god', puts me in a similar position to needing to describe the dark side of the moon, or the inside of my head!

Over the last few months I have been trying to find an honest way to deal with two local churches, one to help with local humanitarian causes, the other to help with their neighborhood garden.

Recently I volunteered to help the local Lutherian church with their Steward Ship program. We had our first meeting last Friday where it was made clear that I must both formally 'join' the church by first having a, for me, a very long talk with the minister, then on the 17th of November take part in the 'new members' ritual. I am sheduled to give my 10mins talk on Environmental Stewardship, which I can do rather easily, but using any reference to 'god' leaves me in a rather big pickle concerning personal honesty. I was thinking of using Sagan's 'Blue Dot' video, or building a short power point presentation that would scare the be-jesus out of the audience, and cause my tar and feathering, with an optional railing(sadly my girl friend might also has more than second thoughts about our relationship)!  The last time I did anything like this the Seventh Day Adventists tried character 'ass-ination', when I challenged their crazy position on evolution and the theory about the flood.

For the Presbyterians, they have a rather nice, but under attended garden in a nice place next to a retirement home. I am on good speeking terms with the young minister, and have attended their men's group to discuse the garden, I thought. So far little actual 'garden' conversation, but we have been discussing the book 'The Prodigal God', by Timothy Keller. Sadly I did a background check on Mr. Keller and found a rather ugly history concerning gay rights and maybe a questionalbe environmental concern. After our last men's group, the minister was rather but aback by my intial position on the thesis, it appears that any further 'philosophical talk' would be at a local tavern and off church grounds.

I am testing the hypothesis that an atheist can make a relationship with a theist work, as long as we both share similar common concerns, and honor each others foibles/hangups.

Cof course I might be nuts/loney/etc..... 

RSS

Forum

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Unseen 7 minutes ago. 30 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Noel 44 minutes ago. 9 Replies

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 6 hours ago. 64 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 13 hours ago. 12 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service