Let's have some fun. Play god's advocate. I thought this would be easier. Arguing for god is not easy, especially if you don't use the holy books. My best shot.

(A) I just feel god, in my heart.

I went like this for years until I admitted to myself that I was talking to myself. I was probably a result of childhood indoctrination. It' a weak argument.

(B) There has to be eternal "justice"; what is the point of being a good person. Why not just be a thief and do what ever you want to make yourself happy?

This is the best argument for god, I think. What "goes around-comes around" here on earth, but not always. Granted, it is just wishful thinking that fairness is somehow owed to us.

(C) Something had to create all this

I went with this for a while. Then I figured out that it is "small thinking" and an imposition of our limited life experience.

That's all I got. Take away the divinity of the holy books and its a hard sell. What is your best argument for the existence of god?

Views: 2161

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

He's looking for confirmation bias, and getting cognitive dissonance - I can see how that might be unsettling.

Angelo- religious experiences prove nothing, and even if we did allow them as evidence , they would prove just about every god. A Christian will see Jesus, a Muslim  Allah and a Hindu will talk to Ganesh.

And i see you offer no evidence but merely an extrapolation. Fine then.  But tell me,  would you accept an extrapolation on why the multiverse theory is likely correct? Or how about If i told you i had a personal religious type  experience about the multiverse being true?

Or would you still demand this little thing we call evidence?

Angelo- religious experiences prove nothing,

Neither have i said that. But they are evidence for a creator. While a multiverse has no evidence at all to rely on.

and even if we did allow them as evidence ,

what hinders you on do so ? your incredulity ?

they would prove just about every god.

We are not discussing, which God might be the true one.

And i see you offer no evidence but merely an extrapolation.

This extrapolation IS evidence. No matter, if you agree on that, or not.

But tell me,  would you accept an extrapolation on why the multiverse theory is likely correct?

Do you have one ? No, you don't.......

Or how about If i told you i had a personal religious type  experience about the multiverse being true?

Did you have one ?

Neither have i said that. But they are evidence for a creator. 

Ummm, yes, you have, Angelo. Less than an hour ago.

And I quote:

"There is plenty of evidence for God, amongst it, religion experience, for example."

Claiming religious experience is evidence for a creator, which you called "God" = claiming that religious experience is proof for your argument. 

You are denying something you have said, on this page, like 3 or 4 posts above, and you expect us to take you seriously and give you any credibility?

Neither have i said that. But they are evidence for a creator. 

Ummm, yes, you have, Angelo. Less than an hour ago.

Do you know the difference between PROOF, and EVIDENCE ? If so, could you describe it ? When done, we will go back and examine, what i said.

You are denying something you have said, on this page, like 3 or 4 posts above, and you expect us to take you seriously and give you any credibility?

You will have a littlebit more work before you, if you hope you can come to this conclusion.

Do you know the difference between PROOF, and EVIDENCE ? 

Evidence is a fact or situation that suggests something might be true. Proof is a fact or situation that removes all doubt, and you haven't given us either one.

When done, we will go back and examine, what i said.

What you said is absolute mumbling delusions and wishful thinking, Angelo. There needs to be substance to a claim before it can be, or needs to be "examined".

You will have a littlebit more work before you, if you hope you can come to this conclusion.

What conclusion? That you have no credibility? That is blatantly obvious to everyone here. No work needed on my part. You on the other hand, Angelo, have quite a mountain to climb to show us that you deserve to be taken seriously, and not as just another proponent of false science and religious lies.

Hawking has evidence for a multiverse, but you refuse to read what he has to say about it.

"What scientific evidence is  there to propose it as a reasonable possibility ?"

Why do you ask, Angleo? You don't have the scientific background needed to understand if someone showed you the evidence.

Why do you ask, Angleo? You don't have the scientific background needed to understand if someone showed you the evidence.

If you need to rely on adhoms to make your point, you just disqualify yourself for not  not having enough factual arguments for your world view , and therefore think personal attacks will do it. That will be a de facto admittance of failure.

Trying to turn the whole thing around and point the finger of failure back at me, doesn't change the fact that you don't have enough of a physics background, much less astrophysics, to understand anything about quantum mechanics and see how it's possible for something to come from nothing.

I could spend the whole day, scouting for the mathematical formulae that explains the Big Bang, to the best of our knowledge, explains how there was never a need for a magic creature to jump-start things, and you wouldn't have enough scientific knowledge to understand the mountain of evidence in front of you, and so you, out of scientific ignorance, would still say "god did it!" - so why should any of us waste our time?

You are driving me crazy Angelo!

I will grant you for the sake of argument the idea of god always existing and the universe having a beginning. And that something cannot come from nothing.

That leaves you with a very big problem however.

Where did the universe come from?

Since only God existed, the only place the universe can come from is God. Which makes the universe at least part if not all God,  So the universe has to have always existed for the same amount of time as god.

Why not just leave God out of it and say the universe has always existed. Since we know it does, we have evidence for it! 

How do you know that the universe has always existed ? Scientific and philosophical arguments say differently.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

What is the Destiny of Intelligence?

Started by Roy Plisko in Philosophy. Last reply by Davis Goodman 3 hours ago. 62 Replies

conspiracy theories

Started by Seth Richardson in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 10 hours ago. 20 Replies

Criticize the ideology, not the person?

Started by Erock68la in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 11 hours ago. 28 Replies

6 YEARS!

Started by Dan in Announcements. Last reply by Pope Beanie 15 hours ago. 6 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Pope Beanie 16 hours ago. 12 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service