Let's have some fun. Play god's advocate. I thought this would be easier. Arguing for god is not easy, especially if you don't use the holy books. My best shot.

(A) I just feel god, in my heart.

I went like this for years until I admitted to myself that I was talking to myself. I was probably a result of childhood indoctrination. It' a weak argument.

(B) There has to be eternal "justice"; what is the point of being a good person. Why not just be a thief and do what ever you want to make yourself happy?

This is the best argument for god, I think. What "goes around-comes around" here on earth, but not always. Granted, it is just wishful thinking that fairness is somehow owed to us.

(C) Something had to create all this

I went with this for a while. Then I figured out that it is "small thinking" and an imposition of our limited life experience.

That's all I got. Take away the divinity of the holy books and its a hard sell. What is your best argument for the existence of god?

Views: 2123

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Mike - I was hoping someone would challenge me so I could have some fun arguing FOR creationism!  :D

What I find particularly interesting, is that for 70% of the 4 billion years that this planet has harbored life (the first half-billion, it was too hot - according to Hawking), or 2.8 billion years, life existed only as single-celled organisms. Only in the last 1.2 billion, did those somehow figure out that there was safety in numbers, and begin clumping together, to create multicellular lifeforms, and eventually, us.

Darwin gave us "the how", but not "the why", if there is a "why". Why the hell does an ant care about the next generation of ants. Why are living things striving to improve and evolve?

Much like the story of the scorpion and the frog - it's in their nature.

Because those ones who did not care about that would have died out pretty quickly.

There is none, and if you could imagine one and then apply it to reality it would cancel out its existence in regards to present and omnipresent, in this universe , especially when more than one universe exists... according to DarkMatter2525even on this planet...

Good one, Danielle, always like DarkMatter 2525 --

"Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there. Theologians can persuade themselves of anything."
-- Robert A. Heinlein --

I absolutely love his videos , and are good to use in arguments, and adds fun into them at the same time ^_^

It is not that the ant cares about the next generation. It is that its DNA (the selfish gene) is programmed to replicate. It is DNA that is in charge. It wants to survive and will “Evolve” it host as it sees fit so it can continue to live. The trick Evolution pulled off was to create different species so it could increase its survival chances. Humans don’t pass on DNA in order to survive…DNA creates humans to pass on DNA. It is clever enough to let us think we must reproduce in order to survive as a species when all along it is being selfish and is only concerned about its own survival.

Maybe it made us self-aware so we might one day leave the planet and allow it to continue its existence on another planet where it might make new species to further its own interests.  Evolution is how DNA survives. It does not care what species hosts it. It does not know or care that we exist.

Wow, that's a concept more supported by evidence than anything. We are being used!

The only thing that I might be willing to take as evidence of a god is that SHE gave women the amazing, rarely fully explored, endorphin high inducing and fantastically varied female orgasm ! :-).

Unfortunately her invention was so very good that MEN invented the paternalistic, misogynistic religions of abraham to enslave, shame, guilt and deny us the full potential of this gift.

So is god hot?

RSS

Blog Posts

My Dad and the Communist Spies

Posted by Brad Snowder on August 20, 2014 at 2:39pm 0 Comments

Breaking Free

Posted by A. T. Heist on August 20, 2014 at 9:56am 4 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service