I come from a very religious Christian family, I've read the bible. I've also read the Qur'an, the Tanakh, and the Dhammapada. I have done research on many religions. I have homosexual friends. I have Atheist friends, Christian friends, Pagan friends and Agnostic friends. They are good people and shouldn't be judged by a certain kind of followers.

I am an Atheist because I HAVE known God's word, as well as other god's words. I have prayed to God to show me that he does exist, and to change my mind about my beliefs. Since then I have come to accept the fact that it is not in my character to believe in higher beings. This was not a choice for me. I cant help the fact that I analyze and question everything. It's in my nature.

That being said, after reading the bible I know that there is a lot of issues that God takes a stand against that I find intolerant and ridiculous.

The only thing I ask of anyone, is that they judge me based on how well they know me. Nothing more. How could you know my thoughts? My morals? My Philosophies?

Thank you for your time.

Tags: a, letter, theist., to

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you where Born in Afghanistan, you would follow Islam most likely. If you where born in Jerusalem, you would follow Judaism most likely. if you where born in Asia, you would be Hindi or any other kind of Pagan belief.

Why would you worship an omnipotent God that would damn these people to hell, just because they have never heard of Christianity? Think about this.

as an Atheist, It is about the same...you cannot bring your self to believe other wise, it is in your nature. So why would you want to worship a god who hates the person you are?
"Why would you worship an omnipotent God that would damn these people to hell, just because they have never heard of Christianity?"

I don't. The Catholic Church actually teaches what is called "Invincible Ignorance", which basically says that if through no fault of your own you have never heard the Gospel, then you can still be saved. See http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/1999/9907chap.asp.
So you would have to agree, then, that missionary work and spreading the gospel to the heathen is deeply immoral...

Begs the question what the point is, don't you think? If theoretically every innocent on the planet could be saved by never hearing the gospel, seems to me that it would behoove us to make an agreement to seal our lips forevermore, thus saving countless ignorants from the fiery depths... Amirite?! ;-)
Invincible Ignorance. Wow! That kinda describes the whole of monotheism!
I don't need to be "saved". If I am under some kind of threat for my mere existence, whoever is threatening me can go f*** itself!
The Catholic Church actually teaches what is called "Invincible Ignorance", which basically says that if through no fault of your own you have never heard the Gospel, then you can still be saved.

I'm ex-Catholic(AND GLADLY SO!) and this is the first I've heard of it. It's probably not Roman. But what would the inverse of that be? If you've heard the Gospel and decide it's not your thing you're toast? PASS!
Hummm... this Catholicism bit is interesting. Where do they get this stuff? Not from the Holy Bible I was raised on, that's for sure.
Indeed it does make me dizzy. Should I be glad I was raised Southern Baptist instead of Catholic? Probably the same either way. I doubt the Catholics would've appreciated my questions any more than my "other" Christian peers did.

Ah, it all boggles the mind.
Yeeeah, Baptists and their ilk are not exactly known for higher education-sadly. I suppose, in that respect, I would have much rather been raised Catholic. I am a bit jealous that at least atheist ex-Catholics can still discuss evolution with their family and not be shut down because they don't believe in talking snakes.

*sigh*

I should just be glad I wasn't Mormon, right?
Awww thanks Adriana :) And we (especially me) like you!
I was raised southern baptist as well. When I studied physical anthropology at Berkeley, I was a bit jealous of some Catholics and Jews I met there who were able to hold onto their religious heritage after a fashion. Looking at evolution vs a Southern Baptist POV was clearly an either/or proposition.
Well, I guess we can look at the bright side here! Even though we were gypped out of a quality education, it may have been easier to let go of our faith because our faith was not compatible with reality. Since Catholics and Jews can accept evolution, they have less reason to see how errant their faith really is... hence they may never become even more enlightened.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 1 hour ago. 182 Replies

Blog Posts

Zella Mae Jarrett

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 19, 2014 at 11:35pm 2 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.