Hey Guys,

So I'm just looking to brush up on my knowledge regarding Christian beliefs so that I'm better prepared to explain my position of disbelief when the discussion arises (it has been a much more common topic around the house than I'd like, especially being the sole atheist of the family). I have some general questions mainly concerning timelines, tailored beliefs and context of things relating to the Bible. Any insight or helpful links would be greatly appreciated. Alright, so here's what I'd like more info on:

1) Does the Bible condone slavery? Every Christian that's confronted with this seems to flat out deny that it does, stating that those "slaves" were people who volunteered themselves to serve.

2) Over what period of time was the Bible written?

3) What's the story of Abraham killing his son?

4) Who are Cain and Abel?

5) What misogynist things does the Bible say about women?

6) Why don't Christians like to follow the Old Testament?

7) What has the Bible "predicted"?

8) Does the Bible have any racist implications?

9) Who was Mary Magdalene and what was so special about her?

10) What other religions does the Bible "borrow" from?

Thanks in advance! <3

Views: 3043

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Actually, Suzanne didn't suggest it, I just dedicated it to her because I know how strongly she feels about the subject.

Seriously, search YouTube.com for Tim Minchin, there's lots, LOTS more - and BTW, he always performs barefoot - what's not to love about that?!

Here's a video that some of you members of the Ray Comfort Fan Club may enjoy --

THREAD HIJACK ALERT!

Any TA members out there from Virginia? Get to work!

The Secular Coalition for America today released its 2013 Virginia Gubernatorial Candidate Scorecard for the upcoming special election -a guide for secular-minded Virginians on the candidates. The Republican candidate, Kenneth Cuccinelli received a failing grade of "F", while Democratic candidate Terry McAullife received an "A". The candidates were scored on their public answers to four topics relating to separation of church and state issues. To see the complete scorecard, click here.

Has any of you un-superstitious atheists realized that it's Friday the 13th?

The Texas Freedom Network requested records of the reviewers, and the agenda they are promoting is inexcusable.

“I understand the National Academy of Science's [sic] strong support of the theory of evolution,” one reviewer wrote. “At the same time, this is a theory. As an educator, parent, and grandparent, I feel very firmly that ‘creation science’ based on Biblical principles should be incorporated into every Biology book that is up for adoption.”

Another wrote that, “While I understand the theory of evolution and its wide acceptance, there should be inclusion of the ‘creation model’ based on the Biblical view of history.”

Are we talking about biology or Bible study? Reviewers seem to have confused one for the other.

Dr. Raymond Bohlin, a reviewer affiliated with the creationist Discovery Institute, repeatedly plugged the Institute’s own work in his objections to the textbooks.

“There is no discussion of the origin of information-bearing molecules which is absolutely essential in any origin of life scenario. Meyer’s Signature in the Cell easily dismisses any RNA first scenario. The authors need to get caught up,” he wrote.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service