Hey Guys,

So I'm just looking to brush up on my knowledge regarding Christian beliefs so that I'm better prepared to explain my position of disbelief when the discussion arises (it has been a much more common topic around the house than I'd like, especially being the sole atheist of the family). I have some general questions mainly concerning timelines, tailored beliefs and context of things relating to the Bible. Any insight or helpful links would be greatly appreciated. Alright, so here's what I'd like more info on:

1) Does the Bible condone slavery? Every Christian that's confronted with this seems to flat out deny that it does, stating that those "slaves" were people who volunteered themselves to serve.

2) Over what period of time was the Bible written?

3) What's the story of Abraham killing his son?

4) Who are Cain and Abel?

5) What misogynist things does the Bible say about women?

6) Why don't Christians like to follow the Old Testament?

7) What has the Bible "predicted"?

8) Does the Bible have any racist implications?

9) Who was Mary Magdalene and what was so special about her?

10) What other religions does the Bible "borrow" from?

Thanks in advance! <3

Tags: abraham, atheism, bible, context, debate, god, jesus, misogyny, questions, racism, More…women

Views: 2801

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"God is a postulate."...Dr. Bob

Bob finally gets it, he has diminished the doG to just an unsupported claim...good for you Bobbie.

Bob finally gets it,

You finally figured out how to spell my name!  Good for you.

If you read back through prior posts, you'll find that I've tried (without success it seems) to explain that "God is a postulate" on several different occasions.  Just as I've tried to explain that the large majority of Christians are not fundamentalists and don't go scurrying off for biblical quotes like some atheists to prove a point. 

"You finally figured out how to spell my name!"

Good to know boB.

If you read back through prior posts, you'll find that I've tried (without success it seems) to explain that "God is a postulate" on several different occasions. Just as I've tried to explain that the large majority of Christians are not fundamentalists and don't go scurrying off for biblical quotes like some atheists to prove a point.

Over 100 million Americans are fundamentalist Christians, Bob. They're the majority religious here. The same number, about a third of Americans, believe the Bible is literally true.

These folks most certainly do scurry off for Biblical quotes to "prove" points about virtually any subject you can name. Not a day that goes by when I don't encounter this in one form or another.

I live in the US, TA is based in the US, most of the people I encounter are in the US, so these are the Christians I most often deal with: mainstream American Christians. A majority  of discussion regarding the Bible in the US occurs with people like this, so atheists often take this approach as well.

I've explained this to you before and more than once, but for some reason you persist in ignoring it.

I haven't seen "God is a postulate" until tonight, but by all means lets plug this euphemism for "Assume God exists" into the standard four step progression.

Crackpot: God is a postulate.
Me: Evidence, please?
Crackpot: There is none. Just assume it.
Me: I don't believe you.

Back to the drawing board, Bob.

Over 100 million Americans are fundamentalist Christians, Bob.

And Americans represent less than 5% of the world population.  I realize we Americans tend to think we're the center of the universe, but Christian fundamentalism is largely an American disease.

It has always seemed to me that the bulk of the people here seem to object primarily to fundamentalism/biblical literalism, or at times to poorly educated/informed religiosity, rather than to religion more generally.

Then, oddly, quite a few tend to emulate those they object to, by making biblical literalist arguments or unsubstantiated/unprovable claims about religion.  In fact, they sometimes criticize me and my religion for not being fundamentalist (I just "pick and choose", etc.).

As for the rest, you must have missed my response in that long post.

Bob: Parallel lines will never meet.

Gallup:  Evidence, please.

Bob: There is none.

Gallup: I don't believe you.

Bob (rolling eyes): Whatever.   I'm going to keep using Euclidean Geometry because it's useful.  Be grateful that the guy who built your house does, too.

Except you analogy doesn't really work. The evidence is in logic. a line of the equation y=4x+6 will never intersect with a line that is y=4x+10. If you set them equal to each other and solve then one can clearly see that there is no point of intersection.

If matters of faith were so easy to point out with logic, then we wouldn't be having this discussion. Philosophers would have found beyond doubt that there was a god long ago. That's why analogies like the Celestial Teapot are used. They better represent that something could exist, but without evidence, then there's really no reason to believe.

Your point seems to be that religion is useful so whether or not there is a god, one should keep using it. Except that religion isn't always useful. It for me was personally harmful. It has done harm to a lot of people. The prevalent ideas that people are inherently sinful and therefore bad and that we are worthless without the help of god is incredibly damaging of one's self worth if he or she actually believes it. Some of the good things that religion uses aren't specific to people. For instance, it brings people together through music and celebration, but religions don't need either music or celebrations to be a religion, and those two things bring people together regardless of whether they are used religiously or not.

Yes, sometimes religion is useful, but sometimes it leads to terrible results. It spreads a fantastical view of the world where the universe doesn't follow its own laws. It more often spreads irrationality and authoritarianism. It is easily corruptible because it wields tremendous power in people's lives. I think many of us who have experienced the harms of belief are more prone to seeing how greatly it falls short of what it claims it should do, and are therefore against it generally.

That's part of the reason why we seem to be dismissive of your analogy and point. They have no parallel.

RE: "In fact, they sometimes criticize me" - SAY it isn't so! That's so hard to imagine --

No, Greg, he's just removing his invisible sky fairy from the arena of things-that-require-evidence.

Damn...and I thought he had had an epiphany...back to the drawing board. :)

Oh my... I first read that as, "God is a prostitute."  I was wondering what kind of a discussion we had going on here.

Me too Diane... had to rub mine eyes there, twice, then I discovered "God is a postulate"

LOL Well he is sort of a whore, he gives pleasure for prayers. LOL

PrayerPrayer is the active effort to communicate with a deity or higher being.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service