This absolutely blew my mind when I saw it last night. Gallup has run another of it's regular state-by-state political affiliation polls and to call the results surprising would be akin to calling Ken Ham slightly misinformed on biology and paleontology.

Here's the full Gallup article.

Here are some things of note:

* Republicans have officially lost the northeast completely. The entire northeast from Maine over to Minnesota and down to Virginia and Arkansas are listed as Solid Democratic.

* 30 of the 50 states are solid democratic including the afore-mentioned northeast corner of the country, the entire west coast, and New Mexico. An additional 8 states are leaning democratic including traditional "red" states like Georgia, Oklahoma, and Tennessee.

* Only 4 states are still listed as Solid Republican - Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, and Alaska with Alabama coming in as leaning Republican.

* Notice something missing from that list of solid or leaning Republican states? Hmmm.... maybe Texas... wait a minute... TEXAS?!?! Yes, Texas. THE Republican stronghold of strongholds which has always been to Republicans what my home state of New York is to Democrats is in play according to Gallup. Poll results show 40% of the people identifying themselves as Republican and 42% identifying themselves as Democrat. It's a statistically insignificant advantage for democrats but the simple fact that it's even contested has to send alarm bells ringing at the RNC.

* Perhaps the most telling stat of all - this is all despite the fact that Democratic support is *DOWN* from the last poll run from July - December 2008. Rather than getting any kind of boost from this, the Republican party's support is also down. There was a spike in people who identify themselves as Independent. The fact that the Republican party no longer even looks appealing to people upset with the Dems anymore should be very worrying for party leaders.

Views: 3

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's so extreme it makes me want to doubt the results. I think Gallup is a fairly reliable source as far as political surveys are concerned (feel free to disagree). At the same time, it's so exciting it makes me want to squee!
The poll is very encouraging, but remember that the republicans' numbers are going to be artificially low in the six months following the landmark 2008 election. Now that, unfortunately, Obama's honeymoon is over, I expect that those numbers will change.
Ahem, that's "Republicans'."
I think it encouraging to see more people identifying themselves as Independent. Too many in the two main parties sit on the extremes of their party's views. More people identifying as Independent hopefully will lead to more moderate middle-ground officials being elected. Hopefully.

Nice find Sabre!
But but... I don't really like Dems, either. Will we NEVER get a decent Independent candidate? C'mon! Someone from T|A... PLEASE go to Harvard and run for office so I can vote for you!
Republican, Democrate, or Indipendent, ain't no atheist got any chance of being elected president in this country for a long while!
Very true a 2007 poll showed that people would be more likely to vote for a homosexual than an atheist. Only 45% of the people polled said they would even consider voting for an atheist. 55% would vote for a homosexual, 72% would vote for a Mormon.
I'm not a big Democrat fan either. However, they look absolutely gorgeous next to the Republicans these days.
If anything I'd label myself as a Democratic-leaning Independent. Although at this point I guess I could call myself a Democrat seeing as I wouldn't vote for any Republican unless they could suitably convince me that they don't/won't fall in line with the majority of their now almost completely fucking insane party. I'd have to be thoroughly convinced that they are an Andrew Sullivan Republican, not a Rush Limbaugh Republican.
Ron Paul seems pretty chill.
Gaahhhh!
Do some more research. Ron Paul is a nutbag.

1) Most important one to anyone here I would assume, he supports school prayer. That should be enough to squash support immediately, IMO.

2) He's a homophobe, he supports "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" and has been very anti-gay in the past.

3) He's very outspoken on his desire to overturn Roe V. Wade.

4) He's a closet racist, here are some choice quotes:
"If you have ever been robbed by a black teen-aged male, you know how unbelievably fleet-footed they can be."
"Given the inefficiencies of what DC laughingly calls the criminal justice system, I think we can safely assume that 95 percent of the black males in that city are semi-criminal or entirely criminal."
"black males age 13 who have been raised on the streets and who have joined criminal gangs are as big, strong, tough, scary and culpable as any adult and should be treated as such."
"Opinion polls consistently show that only about 5 percent of blacks have sensible political opinions, i.e. support the free market, individual liberty and the end of welfare and affirmative action."

5) He supports ridiculous ideas like the national border along Mexico, leave NATO and the UN, he's against health care reform and FIERCELY opposed to any sort of public option.

6) Proving he's a cold, heartless, despicable excuse for a human being he voted AGAINST *ANY* sort of US involvement in Darfur. He even voted against a bill requiring the identification of any companies that conduct business in Sudan and prevents such companies from getting government contracts - stating that the free market should be 100% free of any interference, even if that interference is an attempt to punish companies funding genocide. He was the only person that voted No.

7) http://crooksandliars.com/david-neiwert/ron-paul-decries-looming-ne...

8) He actively supports abolishing the Federal Income Tax and replacing the lost income by implementing an INSANE 23% Sales Tax which would serve to completely bankrupt the lower and middle classes of America while making sure the upper class' pockets stay lined with 100 dollar bills.

The guy is certifiable. I appreciate his support of civil liberties (though he only seems to care about the civil liberties of straight white Christian men) and think it's great that he was one of the few that opposed the PATRIOT Act. Aside from that the man is a nutcase.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Gallup's Mirror 1 hour ago. 133 Replies

Blog Posts

I am tired

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 12:09am 2 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.