So my christian friend just told me out of the blue that he doesnt believe in dinosaurs and thinks the bones were made with plaster and are faked. Then he asks me "Have I shocked you?" Something is telling me that he just said that to get a reaction out of me as if he were trying to get me angry or something. But I'm not sure. What do you think I should write back to him?

Views: 1378

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

RE: "He can see,hear, and speak." - How does he know this, because it says so in a book, written by 2- and 3000-year old men?

RE: "those who are angry at God make fun of His book,  but they have nothing else. They can not find a mistake in it."

Ask him about the camels Abraham's servant took to Laban's place in Haran, in 2300 BCE - when Humans didn't domesticate the camel until 1000 BCE. Ask him about the flood that covered the entire earth to 22.5 feet above the highest mountains, when there isn't enough water in, on, under or above the earth to cover even Mt. Ararat more than half-way, and certainly not enough to cover Everest.

Ask him what difference it made that "the sun stood still," when it's the rotation of the earth that governs our concept of time. The Bible is loaded with mistakes.

Of course it's boring talking about no god.  It would be boring talking about no golf, too.  Or no sheep and goats.  You need to agree to disagree on religion and I suggest that if you both agree to do that, the rest of your friendship can progress as you both feel comfortable with.  If, however, he decides that is not an option, then I imagine you are doomed to have these disconcerting exchanges.  Or you can find some other friends.

Good work with the citations here.  Quoting the actual language helps.  And, yes, there are many more.  You can only hope that, if he will ponder these, his determined dissonance will begin to fade.  (But, for the future, note that all facts are "true" and "a lot" is always two words.)

"The most preposterous notion that H sapiens has ever dreamed up is that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes, wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in all history."

--Robert A Heinlein

AMEN!

Amen!Wikipedia: Amen! is an album by singer and actress Della Reese.

"Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream up a god superior to themselves.
Most gods have the manners and morals of a spoiled child."
-- Robert A. Heinlein --

"Theology is never any help; it is searching in a dark cellar at midnight for a black cat that isn't there. Theologians can persuade themselves of anything."
-- Robert A. Heinlein --

I don't believe in friends who don't believe in dinosaurs.

Tell him his hurtful comments make Barney really sad --

Now the poor little purple guy just mopes around, singing,

"I hate you,
You hate me,
We're no longer a family...."

It's heartbreaking --

Who cares, I expect that dinosaurs don't believe in him either....;p).

It is ok, you really do not need to 'defend' dinosaurs. Theists don't really need to defend 'god', if he/she/it exists, I would expect he is big enough to defend himself, quietly and with great prejudice. 

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

"Probably won't report".....

Started by Belle Rose in Society. Last reply by Noel 4 hours ago. 17 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 7 hours ago. 62 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 11 hours ago. 45 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service