The organizers of the upcoming Rock Beyond Belief concert at Fort Bragg, NC have been forced to cancel the event because the authorities there have withdrawn their promised support for the event. Rock Beyond Belief was organized in response to Fort Bragg’s overwhelming sponsorship, endorsement, and support of a Christian evangelical event called Rock the Fort. When atheists and secularists around the country protested the government’s support of this event and requested it be canceled, officials at Fort Bragg stated that the same level of support would be provided to anyone who organized a similar event. That has now proven to be untrue, as demonstrated by the actions of Fort Bragg officials.

The actions Fort Bragg officials took against Rock Beyond Belief included denying the use of an outdoor venue, denying financial support, and demanding that any advertisement or sponsorship clearly state that Fort Bragg did no support or endorse the event. However, Fort Bragg previously provided Rock the Fort the requested outside venue, provided thousands of dollars in financial support, and freely promoted the event.

Here are some ways you can help:
http://rockbeyondbelief.com/2011/03/07/demand-equal-treatment-for-the-armys-non-religious-soldiers/

What do you guys think of this?

Tags: church, concert, government, military, prejudice, secular, separation, state

Views: 15

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's only a concert, right? Maybe, but it involves government and military funding of and preference to religious venues that that tout converting over 700 soldiers to Christ. I've been searching for something on this order to stir me into being proactive. This seems to fit that bill. Thanks for sharing this!
It's funny because christians are so "persecuted" *sarcasm*
Speaking from a military perspective, this disgusts me.  I joined the Corp to protect freedom in this country, only to see stories about the government supporting the xians shoving their religion down everyone's throats.  And people ask me why I'm such an aggressive atheist!

RSS

Blog Posts

The tale of the twelve officers

Posted by Davis Goodman on August 27, 2014 at 3:04am 5 Comments

Birthday Present

Posted by Caila Rowe on August 26, 2014 at 1:29am 14 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service