Does the practice of forced or commanded morality make you a moral person? I ran upon this quote and it was a revelation of sorts.

If I were to speak your kind of language, I would say that man's only moral commandment is: Thou shalt think. But a "moral commandment" is a contradiction in terms. The moral is the chosen, not the forced; the understood, not the obeyed. The moral is the rational, and reason accepts no commandments.
-- Ayn Rand: John Galt's radio address in Atlas Shrugged

Tags: Ayn, Forced, Morality, Rand

Views: 255

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Following precepts, commandments, dicta, etc., is morality. Thinking about one's choices and trying to make the best one is ethics.

I dont know why but when I read that Ayn Rand quote, I think of it being said to a criminal ...

In fact the whole bible is starting to looking like one big penitentiary to me ....

Is the bible about criminal law?

Be good or go to jail ...

Is the bible about criminal law?

Be good or go to jail ...

Religion is.

Be obedient or go to hell.

Jail would be hell for me.

In many ways religion has the opposite effect: it makes a human being amoral!  It breeds bigotry, hate, animosity, supposed intellectual superiority, prejudice and all sorts of immorality.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

A fun test for all you ex-Christians

Started by Emperor Milos in Music. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 26 minutes ago. 20 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service