We have a presidential campaign period that goes on overtly for two years before the election—and may actually start the day after a presidential inauguration. I, like many people, find this annoying. Other countries get things done in just a few months. 

But how could we do it? You'll have to address the primary/caucus process for one thing. Do away with it in favor of a national primary day, perhaps.

Would you fund the primary winners entirely with government money? Would each candidate get the same amount of would it depend on primary performance?

If you could have a do over as far as how we elect our President, what would your approach be?

Views: 166

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Any citizen CAN run.

But there is a huge thicket of rules you have to follow...many of them campaign finance.  Without huge money to hire lawyers and accountants, you can be in BIG trouble.  The powerful interests LOVE campaign finance reform (believe it or not!) because they can afford to navigate that thicket, while Belle Rose cannot.

The rules you suggest would hand a huge advantage to anyone already famous, given that name recognition is a factor...you'd have to campaign without campaigning somehow to make yourself famous, before you can begin to run for office.

I personally opppose such restrictions as infringements on the first amendment.

I think it's generally true that while big business likes to complain about regulations, they know that the regulations often give them an advantage over smaller competitors because they have tax/financial attorneys either on staff or on retainer whereas smaller competitors will end up paying hourly fees.

For example, Amazon, with its huge cash flow, stated that it didn't mind charging state sales tax. This may be because they had already developed the software etc. to handle it, and knowing full well that almost all of their competitors would be unable to do so right away and that the adjustments required would make the competition less price-competitive. 

There is also the phenomenon of regulatory capture, where the largest businesses in an industry end up owning the regulatory apparatus.  Here in Colorado the PUC is owned lock, stock and barrel by those they regulate, and a startup can't get approval.

As a side note, Colorado is one of the nastiest states for figuring sales tax because it has a raft of "special districts" with sales taxes.  You practically have to do a zip code lookup to be sure, and I suspect even that might be problematic at times (I know of at least one zip code that spans a county boundary).  (Those special districts also impose property taxes.)  The big city I am near imposes a 2+ percent sales tax on top of the county and state, and retailers outside city limits enjoy a considerable advantage.

RSS

© 2018   Created by Rebel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service