Hey all!

I have a question.  I moved my family to a small, rural community in Texas about 3 years ago.  As I imagine is the case in all small towns, everybody knows everybody and most groups and activities seem to revolve around one of the various churches in the area.  Now, understand that not all activities are based around religion, but most social circles seem to grow out of who goes to what church, etc. 

My wife and I love the small-town atmosphere and the great school system our daughter attends, but we still feel like we are living on the outside.  Are there any particular groups, organizations we could join that would not make us feel like we were the odd-man-out?  Any other particular advice for fitting-in to the community without having to conform and live a lie by attending a church despite our non-belief (as has been suggested by my devout mother)?

Tags: fitting in, small town

Views: 73

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's a great school system in a small rural Texas town where most things revolve around religion?

I wonder if you'd be able to do any volunteer work that wasn't church-related. That would be a good way to meet and connect with people. I'm not sure you'd be able to find anything that wasn't done through a church though. Maybe you could take up a hobby like playing cards (poker?) or something along those lines... find a reason to get involved with a group of people who don't gather for religious purposes.

Really, it just depends on where exactly you are. Look online and see if you can find any non-religious groups in your area. (For what it's worth, I definitely disagree with your mother!)

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

"Probably won't report".....

Started by Belle Rose in Society. Last reply by Davis Goodman 39 minutes ago. 19 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Davis Goodman 49 minutes ago. 64 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 1 hour ago. 63 Replies

Analyzing Ferguson

Started by Unseen in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Simon Mathews 2 hours ago. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service