First Baptist Church? Of apparently every major city?

This seems like an answer I should know, since I have to keep my religious knowledge on the up and up like every other atheist, but why do a lot of churches say "first"?? Where I live, I only see a baptist church so I'm not sure what others say first. But it seems like there should be a sign saying "facepalm" right below the name. 

Someone enlighten me please?

Tags: First, church, facepalm

Views: 86

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I never thought about that, but now i'm curious too.

As a child I attended the First Church of Christian Science in Chevy Chase MD now I know there were several other branches of our church and they progressed in ascending order normally from the time of there founding but I do not know if this holds true for all churches of different faiths. If there is only one of each denomination in the area that might explain why they are all first churches however in a big city you will see First church and Second church and so on.  

Bill has it right.  It is the first church of that particular specific denomination, or in the case of the independents, non-denomination.

RSS

Blog Posts

People

Posted by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp on July 28, 2014 at 10:27pm 4 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service