I don't have a personal doctor. I have a dentist that I really like. but I'm healthy. For the irregular issues like a staph infection 4 or 5 years ago, I just go to a walk-in clinic. But I'm nearing 40. It's getting to be time for regular check ups including getting the finger. If some dude is gonna finger me, I at least want to have a working relationship with him. :D Colon cancer is in the family, so it's time to find a family doctor for me.
I don't just want any doctor. If I'm going to see a doctor, I want to be on the same page. I want a doctor that accepts evolution. I don't want a doctor whom doesn't keep up with medicine and contemporary thought. I want doctor whom doesn't let a belief structure guide their thoughts on biology and medicine.
I want a doctor that is going to deal with me rationally. If and when it's time to deal with an illness or death, I don't want him, or her (Just realized that I'm leaving the hers out. All of my regular docs have been men by chance.) to look at me and suggest a local church for comfort. To me, they might as well suggest a witch doctor at that point. If I have that issue, I don't want them to create another one for me in terms of confidence or causing wavering trust.
So has anyone ever sought this out? How would one go about asking about this? Can you set up consultations with doctors to play 20 questions? What advice can you come up with to help me or others find that doctor that will meet our needs?

Tags: Atheist, Doctor, Evolution, Rational, medicine

Views: 595

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am not sure. I wish there was a way to find this out. There is nothing worse then going through an automated phone system and hear spin the wheel on what doctor you want by just hearing their name! FRUSTRATING!

I am a physician with no religious affiliation.  I specialize in Leukemia/Lymphoma lab medicine. 

In my field, evolution is observable.  Many leukemias and lymphomas have identifiable genetic/molecular mutations that are examples of evolution (refer to http://asheducationbook.hematologylibrary.org/cgi/content/full/2009... for an article directly related to evolution and my field).  With respect to Natural Selection, these are obviously not advantageous mutations, but they are examples of observable evolution nonetheless.   

With respect to understanding evolution, I believe it is extremely important for understanding disease and developing cutting edge treatments.  However, I would imagine many primary care providers can provide excellent care regardless of their understanding of or acceptance of evolution.  Personally, I do think their ability to truly understand disease and pathophysiology is hindered if they don't understand evolution, but a lack of understanding or accepting evolution is unlikely to affect their ability to provide quality primary care- unless of course they have gone off the deep end and think prayer or churchgoing will cure disease.

You should check with any local secular organizations in your area or a Unitarian Universalist church near you for potential recommendations/references.  I would imagine you might find a physician, or at least get a reference, in a nearby secular group or UUC.  If not, I would recommend you call the office of any prospective doctor and simply explain your concerns to the office staff.  I would hope the doctors would be sincere and recommend you find someone else if they do not possess the qualities you are seeking.

Good luck. 

Thanks RV. I'll look into any secular organizations. I certainly want a doctor whom is going to be strictly science based. The attitude of dealing with information rationally is what I'm concerned with. When you choose a doctor, you are choosing someone to interpret the data for you. Putting my life into the hands of someone I fundamentally disagree with to begin with doesn't make sense to me. 

But the real issue is any bedside manner. It would rarely be an issue, but eliminating the problem before it rears it's potential head at a time like during illness makes sense. This would apply down to the office staff and dealing with them. The last thing that I would need to hear after being diagnosed with cancer is, "Do you know Jesus?"

Are you near Massachusetts?
No. I'm in Seattle.
The vast majority of M.D.'s accept evolution. Many of the younger ones are atheists. The major problem would actually be the staff although many of the ones I know are also atheists.
Like I mentioned below this, I get to spend time with a lot of medical personnel, including staff; RNs; LVNs; EMTs; etc, during my internships. I can say that, at least judging from the area I work in, people's faith rarely impede on their level of care. I'm an atheist, myself, but that's never really been an issue with anyone I work with.

During my clinical rotations I get to know quite a few doctors, especially the ER docs. I must admit I've met a few who hold quite obvious religious affiliation, however I've never known of a doctor to let his belief come before his practice. Honestly I feel that attempting to find a secular/rational doctor might be an unnecessary pipe dream, though not by any means unheard of.

All I'm trying to say is that, regardless of faith, a doctor's first priority is normally his practice and his patients.

"Do no harm."

I have a somewhat random request. I am writing a book at the moment and am in need of getting a quote from a doctor with expertise in childbirth. My book is a critical look at the historicity of the nativity. In one section, i will be looking at the likelihood of someone (Joseph) asking a 9-month pregnant woman (Mary) to walk or ride on a donkey on an 80 mile trip. The questions are:

What physiological implications would there be for a 9-month pregnant woman to walk 80 miles?
What physiological implications would there be for a 9-month pregnant woman to ride on a donkey for 80 miles?

How likely would she be to:
Go into labour?
miscarry?

Would she be able to complete the journey without any such implications?

Cheers

Jonathan M.S. Pearce

I want a doctor who knows medicine in side and out.  granted i would rather not have a doctor who believes that the world is only 6000 years old, but if that same doctor has a really good record of curing patients, thats good enough for me.

RSS

Forum

Sunday Disassembly

Started by Reg The Fronkey Farmer in Society. Last reply by Belle Rose 1 hour ago. 9 Replies

What would happen...

Started by Griffin Buckerfield in Small Talk. Last reply by _Robert_ 1 hour ago. 7 Replies

Blog Posts

Life Condensed

Posted by Cato Rigas on October 19, 2014 at 8:30pm 2 Comments

Cool Vehicle Inspection!

Posted by Ed on October 18, 2014 at 9:03am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service