Question was inspired by this user from Yahoo, thought I'd get some opinions on this on Think Atheist.

Views: 1234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If these concepts are so large, that no single person can grasp them in their entirety, and abstract thoughts exist in brains, where does this concept exist?

If you and I are looking at the same building from different angles, and I cannot see what you can see, and vice versa, the building itself still exists in a physical sense.

If abstract ideas are held in brains, where does this large concept exist in the physical world?

I've already stated where this idea exists when I introduced the concept - I am not interested in your circular discussions.  You are being willfully obtuse.

Absolutely not. You said that abstract ideas exist in brains. How can this concept exist if not in a brain. How can you and I look at the same concept and see different parts of it, but not it's whole, where does it exist, as a whole? Nowhere?

If nowhere than how is it that you and I are in the process of creating an identical thing that does not exist anywhere in the physical world? How are we perceiving two separate parts of something that does not exist, but if it were possible to finally comprehend, we would both see the exact same thing?

It's all magic and exists only in the Brahma-mind.  Now go read the Vedas and you will be enlightened to everything my lotus-child.

It's all magic blah blah blah

I would have at least expected Heather "Sweetheart" Spoonheim to have actually attempted some kind of response.

Instead your answer seems to be - I don't know/care. I've found my thing (atheistic monism) and I'm sticking to it god damn it! Akin to theocrats everywhere...

At least I'm asking questions and being civil. Sorry if I interrupted your circle-jerk fest.

Well try reading a few books on the subject and at least bringing something more interesting to the table than multiple-repetition of the same unfounded conjecture.

Ok so what is the answer to the question I posed?

Where do these large concepts physically exist?

Stated before you even asked - so already answered.  I will not engage your circles.

Stated where? You said a concept can span two separate brains, and can be too large to be held in either. Where does it exist entirely? You haven't answered it at all.

RE: "Where does it exist entirely?" - why, in the mind of your god, of course!

(Do you SEE how much of your time you've wasted, Heather?)

Not only have I wasted my time, but I also perceive having wasted that time, and you are also able to perceive that time wasted - that is 3 times as much waste as actually occurred!  Our very perceptions of things multiply the existence of those things!

This guy reminds me of Glenn Beck.

I'll just bet that's where heaven is, Anon, and god feeds us abstract ideas! What do you think?

RE: "If all conscious minds perished, would that mean that numbers would no longer exist?"

If a tree falls in a forest and there's no one around to hear it, does it still make a sound?

If a man walks into a forest and speaks, and there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

RSS

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service