Question was inspired by this user from Yahoo, thought I'd get some opinions on this on Think Atheist.

Views: 1345

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's all magic blah blah blah

I would have at least expected Heather "Sweetheart" Spoonheim to have actually attempted some kind of response.

Instead your answer seems to be - I don't know/care. I've found my thing (atheistic monism) and I'm sticking to it god damn it! Akin to theocrats everywhere...

At least I'm asking questions and being civil. Sorry if I interrupted your circle-jerk fest.

Well try reading a few books on the subject and at least bringing something more interesting to the table than multiple-repetition of the same unfounded conjecture.

Ok so what is the answer to the question I posed?

Where do these large concepts physically exist?

Stated before you even asked - so already answered.  I will not engage your circles.

Stated where? You said a concept can span two separate brains, and can be too large to be held in either. Where does it exist entirely? You haven't answered it at all.

RE: "Where does it exist entirely?" - why, in the mind of your god, of course!

(Do you SEE how much of your time you've wasted, Heather?)

Not only have I wasted my time, but I also perceive having wasted that time, and you are also able to perceive that time wasted - that is 3 times as much waste as actually occurred!  Our very perceptions of things multiply the existence of those things!

This guy reminds me of Glenn Beck.

I'll just bet that's where heaven is, Anon, and god feeds us abstract ideas! What do you think?

RE: "If all conscious minds perished, would that mean that numbers would no longer exist?"

If a tree falls in a forest and there's no one around to hear it, does it still make a sound?

If a man walks into a forest and speaks, and there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

There is no evidence for a higher power at all. There is evidence that thoughts and matter exist. My question is are they separate?

The analogy you made is what I was inferring to and amounts to just that. Does the tree not still make a sound, do abstract ideas still exist without us?

If abstract ideas are contained purely in brains then we must say abstract ideas no longer exist without us. Is this your position? Heather Spoonheim suggested that some concepts are too large for a single brain to comprehend, yet two separate brains could comprehend part of it. Where does it exist in it's entirety? If you find the solution to one half of a concept and I find the solution to the other half, we combine them and they amount to a complete whole, how would it be possible that they could compliment each other perfectly? I'm being totally serious and haven't made my mind up about anything, and I'm only willing to accept things which I can think/prove to be true.

How was it possible for the Greeks and Indian philosophers to conceive of the atomic nature of structure, with empty space in between, thousands of years before we could prove it, yet finding it to be true despite being counter-intuitive? If it were the case that we simply perceived our own material world, from inside it, how could they arrive at that conclusion?

If it was 500BC and someone had come up to you without our years of rigourous scientific endeavour, and told you to look at a solid table and told you it was made mostly of space, you would have thought him insane. It's completely counter-intuitive. But now we know they were correct.

If our brains and consciousnesses were simply the accumulation of sense perception, how did they arrive at that conclusion? Where did that idea come from?

Have I not stated repeatedly that I don't believe there is a god? What is wrong with you people? Dualism does NOT equal theism.

We've seen theists come on the board and state a lot of things, most of which proved not to be the case.

RSS

Forum

Babies Are Not Born Atheists

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by archaeopteryx 5 hours ago. 4 Replies

Gideons International

Started by Ed in Small Talk. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 15 hours ago. 3 Replies

Draw Muhhamed day was yesterday Bring out your drawings

Started by ThyPlagueDoctor in Small Talk. Last reply by ThyPlagueDoctor yesterday. 4 Replies

Bible Belt Promiscuity

Started by Dante in Advice. Last reply by Dr. Bob 15 hours ago. 11 Replies

am i the only athiest that believes in spirits

Started by Katie Patterson in Small Talk. Last reply by Erock68la 1 hour ago. 36 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

The Purpose of Atheism

Posted by Pope Beanie on May 22, 2015 at 8:35pm 0 Comments

Acceptance

Posted by Belle Rose on May 16, 2015 at 4:14am 4 Comments

Services we love!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service