I know some of you guys don't see quotations from personalities as such a good source of information but, I personally, find them fascinating. They are so concentrated in their message and yet straight to the point.

Because this is thinkatheist.com I know most of them will be about, well, atheism, but I like quotes from every domain. You can post any favorite quote you like.

I would like to post some rules in this thread ( just for the sake of readability ).

1. If you post to this thread you must post only the quote ( in italics and with quotation marks ) and the author. ( you can link the author to wikipedia if you want )
2. If you want to comment please reply to a quote-post that has already been submitted. ( you can comment on each quote if you like but please don't break rule 1 and comment on the whole discussion )
3. You may post only a quote per post ( no multiple quotes )

My quotebook will come in handy. Can't wait to see your snippets of thought.

Enjoy!

Tags: Famous, People, Quotes, from, quote, quotes

Views: 680

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, are you going to drink that?" - Lisa Claymen
"Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, I say, who drank my f***ing drink?!" -Me.
"Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, my glass is always empty, because...Well, I just like booze! Can I have another on please?"
I literally said this to a friend of mine at a pub once.
"Some say the glass is half empty, some say the glass is half full, technically, the glass is full."
"I don't want to be a born again anything; I was born ok the first time." - Unknown author (at least to me)
I like this one !
I concur.
"Only 4 years old at the time, she was interrogated by the local magistrates and confessed to being a witch and incriminated her mother. Dorothy was in custody for nearly 9 months, from March 24, 1692, when she was arrested until she was released on bond for £50 on December 10, 1692. She was never indicted or tried, although her imprisonment led to insanity, from which she later recovered." - A phrase extracted from this Wikipedia article.

I know it's not a quote but it touches me every time I read that article. It really shows how harmful religion can be.

And I don't know the original poster's intentions but I think it's good to be able to comment on each quote separately. Maybe it seems weird to see a lot of posts in a row from a single member but I think that will change when more people will comment on the posted quotes or post some of their favourite quotes.
I have three great ones, all by one man: Greg Graffin

"The proposition that one must "believe in evolution" as people blindly believe in God is easily discounted. Still, much of modern evolutionary biology today is sprinkled with tinges of dualism. Notions of progress, purpose, emergent properties, optimality, and increasing complexity in evolution all contain vague hints of dualism, and are debated in symposia and published in books and journals by today's most active evolutionists. These architects of modern naturalism have traditionally shunned the ideas of religions, but to what degree they discount the supernatural remains to be seen."

"Our faith should be expressed in working toward a better planet for our children and not the selfish, juvenile hope for a better afterlife for ourselves. I don't think anyone is going to Hell because it only exists in the minds of people who wish ill-will on others."

"We still live in a world, however, that is predominantly theist, particularly in America where 95% of the citizens believe in God (according to the Gallup Poll of 2001). In this environment, many evolutionary biologists are reluctant to carry the implications of Darwinism to their logical extent. Theists vote, pay the taxes, and support the research institutions where most naturalists work. Theists do not appreciate hearing the vulgar truth of evolutionary theory, that mankind is no fallen angel, has no immortal soul, nor free will, and was not specially created. So what is a naturalist evolutionary biologist to do in this climate?"
"Our faith should be expressed in working toward a better planet for our children and not the selfish, juvenile hope for a better afterlife for ourselves. I don't think anyone is going to Hell because it only exists in the minds of people who wish ill-will on others."

I concur.
"A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices." - William James

RSS

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service