I know some of you guys don't see quotations from personalities as such a good source of information but, I personally, find them fascinating. They are so concentrated in their message and yet straight to the point.

Because this is thinkatheist.com I know most of them will be about, well, atheism, but I like quotes from every domain. You can post any favorite quote you like.

I would like to post some rules in this thread ( just for the sake of readability ).

1. If you post to this thread you must post only the quote ( in italics and with quotation marks ) and the author. ( you can link the author to wikipedia if you want )
2. If you want to comment please reply to a quote-post that has already been submitted. ( you can comment on each quote if you like but please don't break rule 1 and comment on the whole discussion )
3. You may post only a quote per post ( no multiple quotes )

My quotebook will come in handy. Can't wait to see your snippets of thought.

Enjoy!

Tags: Famous, People, Quotes, from, quote, quotes

Views: 690

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

" In some respects, science has far surpassed religion in delivering awe. How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, 'This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed'? Instead they say, 'No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way.' " - Carl Sagan
"We are a way for the Cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"Everything you can imagine is real." - Pablo Picasso

I quite like this.

People might disagree with me, but I think of reality as a subset of existence. All things exist, including things that are not and cannot be real. Reality consists of all the things that can have an impact on us, be impacted by us, or have an impact on or be impacted by another real thing.

What I think is most awesome thing about being human is that we can imagine things that are not real, and create a real concept of the thing, bringing it from outside of reality, into reality (in a sense). Our power to do this is not absolute, but it is awesome.

"The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." - Albert Einstein
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? " - Douglas Adams
“I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world.” - Richard Dawkins
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." - Mae West
"If anyone can show me, and prove to me, that I am wrong in thought or deed, I will gladly change. I seek the truth, which never yet hurt anybody. It is only persistence in self-delusion and ignorance which does harm." - Marcus Aurelius
“If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought.” - Peace Pilgrim
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful." - Seneca the Younger

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed."
- Albert Einstein

RSS

Forum

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Tom Sarbeck 48 minutes ago. 18 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Ed 1 hour ago. 1 Reply

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Pope Beanie 4 hours ago. 60 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service