I'm looking for a charity to donate to. Its starting to sink in that the Horn of Africa is in deep sh!t and I want to help! A worldwide group would be best because it isn't just Africa. Areas of Asia are in trouble too. Governments aren't giving aide like they should and I need to do my part for my fellow humans because obviously God won't put food in their mouths or grow their crops. I did come across an atheist charity, but I forgot what it was called. Does anyone else know of it? Thanks everyone!
Lindsay

Tags: Charities, famine, humanism

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Lindsay: any of the UN agencies (UNDP or UNICEF are relevant in this instance) are global and secular, as is the Red Cross - they are deemed International Organisations.  I'm not a fan of any of them (I worked in the aid world for a quite a while) - because the egos of their staff tends to get in the way of actually getting stuff done, plus they are very expensive (and lie about it).  Oxfam is much better, as is CARE say.  In the UK we have ActionAid, WaterAid and a plethora of others that are secular and impressive.  Save the Children does some very good work too.

The good news is that some of the religious agencies are really very secular these days too.  But it does change country to country so I tend to avoid them.

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Science Isn't About Truth

Started by Ari E. S. in Philosophy. Last reply by Simon Paynton 2 hours ago. 8 Replies

Blog Posts

Dead man's Switch

Posted by Philip Jarrett on April 18, 2014 at 11:29pm 0 Comments

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.