Fallout from the Steubenville Rape Conviction...for everyone

The verdict is in regarding the case of the two Steubenville, Ohio, rape case against two boys accused of raping a 16 year old girl. It's juvenile court so their sentences will be 1 year for one of the boys and 2 for the other, the difference being that one of the boys published a video of the offense. They will be in a juvenile facility, not regular prison.

Once they've served their sentences, both will have to register as sexual offenders wherever they go in the U.S. for the rest of their lives or face more prison time. Both were local football stars and good students. Now their futures are in a shambles. No, I don't feel sorry for them. They made their choice, and given the evidence of their values, they probably would have done some pretty shitty stuff at some time in their lives even had they not done this.

Other people took photos and videos of the situation as well. What's the significance of that? The Attorney General of Ohio has announced that this case isn't over. It's now known who was present and others may have participated to one degree or other. Also, not one kid present attempted to intervene, to call 911, or even to call an adult. It may be that some of them will have to stand trial as well.

Most of us here are no longer minors, but there's a lesson for us as well from the fact that so much of this case hung on evidence in social media and on the cell phones of those present (pictures, videos). The day when so many crimes came down to "he said, she said" or conflicting testimony are receding into the rear view mirror. 

It started with security video, then police dash cam video, but now cameras are everywhere. Almost everyone has a camera in their pocket, their purse, or on their belt. When someone does something bad, the chance it'll be caught on camera increases daily.

Tags: Steubenville, case, media, rape, social

Views: 812

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Specifically, your question is...?

Why were you a Nazi when you were a teen? That just came way out from the left field. I wasn't expecting that.

Who knows? I don't.

Btw going back to your original statement, being a teen doesn't excuse them for that type of behavior. Teens will do stupid stuff but they are still old enough to know that you don't defend rapists and harass the victim. That is a simple concept a teenager should know by that age. Thankfully most do.

Understanding it isn't the same as excusing it. Assuming the charges are accurate and true, they need to be punished for two reasons: 1) because what they did is criminal and 2) hopefully to discourage other kids from following in their footsteps.

What people don't know about Unseen is that he is really the former Pope, Joseph Ratzinger.

I'm curious, were these boys from "Christian " families or was there any mention of that?

From what I've heard from the girls mom I suppose she was.

I'd say that in most of small-town America, people attend church if only for social reasons. Whether they agree with the entire catechism of their particular church is another matter altogether. Having grown up in a Christian home, I can tell you that anyone who took the precepts of the faith seriously wouldn't be involved in a rape.

Like I always say, the problem with Christianity isn't that all Christians are bad people (certainly some are but many are not). It's that it's simply not true.

I think the documentation aspect of it is significant. It contributes to the further victimization of the assaulted. It shows a further disregard for the humanity of the victim and turns their pain into a novelty.

RSS

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 28 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service