Hey everyone! Tonight, my cousin, who is a devout Christian (my Dad's side of the family is largely Catholic/Episcopalian, but this cousin is far more fervent. She gets it from her mother) posted this on Facebook:

"I am a Christian and proud to say it! Let's see how many people on FB aren't afraid to show their love for Jesus! Repost this as your status. Each time you see this on someone's status, say a quick prayer for that person. Let's get God back in this country like He should be!! If you agree post this in your status update. Just copy and paste"

Naturally, as an atheist, this stuck in my craw. At first I thought to just let it pass, like normal. Then, I decided that instead of letting it pass, I'd stir the fire a little bit. I say I'm an atheist, I might as well start acting like one. So, I tweaked the message a little bit, and reposted it:
"I am an Atheist & proud to say it! Let's see how many people on Facebook aren't afraid to show their love for Reason! Repost this as your status if you want. Each time you see this on someone's status, start a debate, one-sided discussions don't do anything! Let's keep church & state separate in this country, like... it says in our Constitution!! If you agree, post this in your status update or don't, you choose!"

So, what do you think? Should I have just kept it to myself? I've received no responses yet, but I'll keep you all posted.

-Bob

Tags: facebook, posts

Views: 45

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

But what if he is smarter???? :o
I get tired of seeing religious stuff on facebook too. It's annoying to say the least.
God didn't bless you with the patience you needed to suffer fools.
No, he damned me with an intolerance for them.
That bastard!
Sorry so late; just joined last night and am going through old discussions. I love this statement--consider it snaggled. Thanks!

And yes, I love that Bob posted a new version of out and proud.
Not a bad idea. Sometimes you have to fight fire with fire. I probably wouldn't post it because generally speaking I don't friend people who would post the Christian one.

As for the Establishment Clause versus Constitution - with faith-based initiatives getting the nod from Obama I'm tempted to post what I've been researching on that subject - which really sticks in my craw.
Please do! We'd love to read it over here!
No one has responded to this thus far. Looks like the people I know aren't into being confrontational.
Turned the other cheek?
Like it... Must say we have recently had a change in state schooling where religion is for the first time not allowed in school. Needless to say Christians are up in arms and every second post on face book and every second group created by South Africans is to "Keep God in Schools" or "Join this cause" I had considered something similar. However I think the for the average South African atheist, the reality of "public and social prosecution" for being Atheist is a very real threat. None of my family is aware of my beliefs and trust me it's better that way.

I was tempted to do something similar however after rethinking and weighing up all the odds decided against it. However someone is bound to annoy me eventually and who knows. I did posted a link to this site on my profile though as well as Tim Minchins "Storm", after that the "harassment" became a lot less I must say!

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 3 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service