So I need some advice. I did some sharing on facebook, mostly from the thinkingatheist about evolution, science, math, history of religion, ect.... WELL my Christian family took offense to these posts and shares and unfriended me, telling my mother to relay that they never wanted to see my face again.  I de-activated my account to take some time off and save my relationship with my sister.  I guess now that I'm thinking about it, why shouldn't I be able to share what interests me? Isnt that what the social networking site is for?? Why is it that anything I post that doesn't fit their ideals and ways of thinking is deemed offensive and an "attack" on their religion? Now I am being told to "fix it" and basically grovel in forgiveness. I'm not sure what to do as they are my family yes, but they are incredibly judgmental, hypocritical, and just plain stupid when it comes to religion and politics. Bottom line I dont respect their beliefs. What do you guys think?

Views: 438

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They say I can believe or not believe whatever I want but they don't want to see it or hear about it.

Don't give in.You have every right to have an opinion of your own, and are free to share it, especially on the internet. If they don't like it, that is their problem. If they want to cut ties with you because you disagree with them, it just proves how poisonous and damaging religious beliefs can be.
If they turned their backs on you over your opinion, the blame lies entirely at their feet. You are free of any guilt.

Thank you for the insight guys. I created another facebook page free of family, for the time being. I didnt do it for any reason except to avoid the drama and dumb texts that come with some of my non-belief postings and shares. I think many of you hit on the fact that some things I post, while logical and fact based, make them question their beliefs and they don't like that so they go into "you are attacking me and my religion mode" its really quite pathetic. I find controversy healthy, it makes people think and whats wrong with that???

To me it's straightforward: Your family is bullying you for the "crime" of being yourself. This is heartbreaking and sad, and one of the many prices we pay for true freedom.

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 4 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service