I had a friend from high school "friend me" on Facebook years ago. He's a preacher now and even though I'm an atheist I kept him as a friend as I had no problems with him until he started outright attacking atheist. This shouldn't come as a surprise but his most recent post became an attack on me as I know I am his only atheist friend. I unfriended him after this post. Even though I knew he was wrong and I could refute his claims, I just got tired of his hate. I attached his post below, what do you think I should have done:

Tags: Atheist, Debate, Ethics, Facebook, Morals

Views: 735

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Morals and ethics are synonymous. The guy is pretty much saying nothing, so I don't know what there is to be upset about.

Morals are internal, much like instinct with a dose of emotion. We know what is right and wrong. Ethics are external. They are learned from society, culture, religion.

For him to say Atheist have no morals and the best they can accomplish is ethics is wrong. Religion is ethics. It is dogmatic. There are ethical scriptures in the bible that I know for certain he does not follow because his morals tell him that they are wrong.

Case in point: if his son disobeys him, he is supposed to meet the elders at the edge of the city and stone him to death. I doubt very seriously he would ever do that because he was born with a moral of not doing harm, especially to his kid. Much like a mother bird protects its chicks. It's instinctually built in him to know that it is morally wrong.

Deuteronomy 

18 If someone has a stubborn and rebellious son who does not obey his father and motherand will not listen to them when they discipline him, 19 his father and mother shall take hold of him and bring him to the elders at the gate of his town. 20 They shall say to the elders, “This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious. He will not obey us. He is a glutton and a drunkard.” 21 Then all the men of his town are to stone him to death. You must purge the evil from among you. All Israel will hear of it and be afraid.

So if we go by that then we can say all christians are what we call "cafeteria christians", meaning they pick and choose an ethic to live by that goes along with what their subculture/religion accepts as being true.

That's why I got mad. If he already picks and chooses, why choose hate? Why choose anything at all in that book. You have morals and if that is not good enough, I believe some state and federal law will help you define your ethics...and if that is not good enough, go back to square one, where I am, and stick with the basic morality of "DO NO HARM".

This is what pisses me off about religion, they act all high and mighty when they are being worse than the "Heathens" they are trying to refute.

Maybe I should tell him this...wow, that felt good to get out. :)

It always does, doesn't it?

RSS

Blog Posts

PI = 4

Posted by _Robert_ on September 16, 2014 at 8:53pm 4 Comments

Invictus

Posted by Marinda on September 11, 2014 at 4:08pm 0 Comments

Ads

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service