Hello! So I'm new to this group, website and being outwards with atheism, happily. I'm originally from TN but for the last 3 years I've been in Japan and Yuma AZ, so the people that I've known so well, and have known me the same, have naturally drifted out. What I did find funny though was when I did something as little as "Changed his religious preference to: Atheist." I'm not kidding, well over half of my "Friends list" offered me words/advice/prayer/some thought I was depressed and others said more or less to just fuck off. It was funny at first, but the more I thought, I just became outraged, at how more self concerned they all were. Now I do not care for concern from others and I really do not enjoy attention on me, but it's just funny how you never hear from these people, friends or even "family" until something small like a "status change". Just some thought. I really don't have many people(in person) to talk about my beliefs or even hold a decent conversation, mainly because they all have a god. lol So, I saw this Bible belt group and figured it would be a great place to start. The south sure is a monster of it's own. I look forward to speaking with you all. Good day!

Views: 127

Replies to This Discussion

I am from a small town called Altoona, in central Fl. The population here is less than one thousand and there are four churches.

My religious status on Facebook has been Atheist for a couple of years now, but I am constantly supprised when FB friends tell me they never knew I was "without god." Do people really not ever look my facebook page, or are they just in denial? I think a lot of people don't bother looking/asking becuase they naturally assume everyone is Christian, which drives me mad.

One of my former friends came to the conslusion that I was crazy after finding out I was an Atheist and, heaven forbid, believed in evolution. It was quite funny; his argument for my insanity and the fact that he'd known me for a while and never saw the ever so obvious "atheist" icon on my profile. C'est la vie.

I really don't feel any sadness for loosing friends over religion because it's their problem for being so narrowminded, not mine.

:)

Yes, they do assume that everyone is a Christian. That's why the question is never, "Do you go to church?" but "Where do you go to church?"

Haha, exactly.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Discussion Forum

Witness Protection

Started by jen o. Last reply by Alan Hotchy Sep 2. 31 Replies

Dating a christian in the south...

Started by Jake Fanning. Last reply by Presley Jun 10. 31 Replies

A film with you guys in mind

Started by Dan Ashton Lloyd Jan 18, 2013. 0 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service