So, my 5 1/2 year old son was outside playing, while I was making dinner. Out of nowhere he runs inside and says, "Did you know Jesus came back from the dead on Easter?!" . I'm sure I had a horrified look on my face, and asked him where he heard that. He said, "Wyatt (a boy from his class) told me. He knew that!".  I haven't mentioned anything about religion to him, hoping to wait until he was a little older, but i should've known that wouldn't be possible. I said, "Well your daddy and I will have to have a talk with you tonight about something." He says, "About how smart I am?!". I REALLY need advice on how to discuss this with him. ADVICE, PLEASE!!!

Views: 613

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Laura, 

A lot of good advice has been given already, I would recommend reading Richard Dawkin's letter to his (then) 10-year old daughter, you can read it here.

I just read it thanks to the link provided. I think is would be a good base to work with.

I have 3 children all very different from each other. The thing is to plant the base thinking idea then let it take root. Children that young tend to have a short attention span all you need is about 5 minutes because after that they tend to stop listening, no one really likes lectures. Let them know that is ok to question anything or anyone. Then go let them be kids...laugh, play, run, pretend and learn.

A really good read. Thanks for the link.

That was pretty cool.  I'd not seen that before.

My 'kids' are in their late 40s & 50s, so this is ancient history to me. I never discussed religion with them. But if my five year old came at me with that one, I'd have told him that a great many people believe a LOT of different things. Many of them I don't. This is just one of them.
I have two girls, five and eight.  I have just told them that Mommy and Daddy don't believe in a god or gods, but that lots of other people do, all over the world.  We talked about some of the gods (and goddesses) and how they always seem to be just like the people in the country or geographical area they are worshipped in.  We also talked about how people didn't used to know how the world worked and had to find ways to explain all the things they didn't understand, like storms and people getting sick, which religion helps do.  Then I bought them lots of children's books on evolution, which they love.  When my oldest asked where we go when we die, I just told her, "No one knows for sure."  This satisfied her just fine, probably because it was honest.  I just want my girls to learn how to question things instead of just accepting them. 
i'm sure i don't have to point out that this is a delicate situation. if your boy goes back to school and tells the other boy its just a fairy tale, then that mom is gonna call you and ask why your boy is filling her boy's head with sinful thoughts. sooner or later, that mom is gonna get a bunch of other moms on her side and everyone is gonna gang up against you. or do other families in your community know your thoughts on jesus? if they do, then this might not be that bad. but explain your side and explain their side: find as much info as you can about greek/roman mythology and today's religions and show him the progression of everything. its time to start educating your boy on how the rest of the world thinks. and just tell him to have respect for how others believe.

RSS

Atheist Sites

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service