I can honestly say I haven't heard this one before. I have heard its total BS, that it's the work of the devil, that it is wrong to varying degrees, that it's God's will and other things but never that it was a religion. I have even heard atheism is a religion many times. I am honestly at a loss as how to begin responding to this. Here is the post I stumbled across. I am not going to bother replying to this one but I would love to hear some ideas about how to respond to this in the future.

I have some ideas already such but would love to hear from someone who has encountered and debated this already.

Thanks!

Views: 415

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is the work of Micheal Ruse. Quite a character. See also comment on atheism.about.com

The thing about evolution theory is that it is an attempt to fit an explanation for the origin of species into an overall scientific view of the world. Religion has a magical view of the world. Now, evolutionary theory isn't fully developed and some questions remain (we can see how the horse developed step-by-step, ditto to some extent for man, but what about the cow, to take one example?). Even so, evolutionary theory tries to fit the origin of species into a rational view of the world, no magic allowed.

Is there some reason to why you chose cows as an example? I gather that it is not relevant to your point about questions remaining, I agree, but I am not aware that cows were extra mysterious.

I think someone mentioned to me once that while there is that chart showing the evolution of the early horse-like creatures to the modern horse, there is no similar chart for the contemporary beef or dairy cow. I've looked and haven't found one, so as far as I know cows evolved rather suddenly, which in evolutionary terms can be hundreds of thousands of years.

Thanks, that's interesting. I wasn't aware of that at all. I already found some articles on genetic studies corroborating your view. The genome of a Hereford cow has been sequenced (2009) and it seems we're more closely related to cows than to our favorite lab animal.

I have to retract that conclusion about us being more closely related to cows than to mice. Our genes are more similar to cows than to mice, but that doesn't imply the conclusion I took for granted. One learns with each mistake...

lets wait until "us evolutionists" sacrifice something to Darwin. Perhaps we could start with virgins and work our way up to goats?

Right on Bob! Can I have the goat meat afterward? I love it in gyro's!

cool, I'll take the virgins.

What?  They're good in gyros too.

I replied with the following:

It's easy enough to demonstrate that evolution is not a religion simply by comparing the typical characteristics of religions and showing that evolution has none of them. Can I ask you to specify exactly (characteristic by comparable religious characteristic) in what way evolution is a religion then I/we can deal with it directly?

What's the betting it won't get approved or it will be deleted?

Keke

Well my last appeared to be wrong ... I shall humbly abase myself before the god of evolution (if someone can tell me who it is), LOL.

Keke

Duh, it's Darwin! Didn't you get the memo? Upon his death, he was taken up into heaven by a flock of finches where he rules over all the atheists & evolutionists that worship Him.

RSS

Forum

The Elephant in the Room...

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Tom Sarbeck 2 hours ago. 18 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Ed 3 hours ago. 1 Reply

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Pope Beanie 5 hours ago. 60 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service