I can honestly say I haven't heard this one before. I have heard its total BS, that it's the work of the devil, that it is wrong to varying degrees, that it's God's will and other things but never that it was a religion. I have even heard atheism is a religion many times. I am honestly at a loss as how to begin responding to this. Here is the post I stumbled across. I am not going to bother replying to this one but I would love to hear some ideas about how to respond to this in the future.

I have some ideas already such but would love to hear from someone who has encountered and debated this already.

Thanks!

Views: 410

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Below is an exact copy of a response I just posted on  the "Just Passing Thru" website:

Hogwash! Evolution is a scientific discipline. It is no different from the gravitational theory; the germ theory, the heliocentric theory, the electromagnetic theory; the heliocentric theory; quantum theory, the light propagation theory, etc. The only difference is that the theory of evolution supplies, by many orders of magnitude, more actual, solid, empirical evidence than any of them. Evolution HAPPENED; has ALWAYS happened, IS happening, and WILL always happen. Why? Because life, in all its variety, could not exist without it.

The Theory of Evolution offers mountains of virtually irrefutable evidence, including, among others, that diseases evolve resistance to antibiotics. Around 1935, evolutionary biologists unanimously predicted that bacteria would evolve resistance. No pastor, priest, rabbi, imam, or holy book predicted it; and it wasn’t foretold in the Bible. That alone leads me to put more trust in science than blind faith in the ignorant ramblings of bronze age sheepherders or modern day charlatans who pass the plate on Sundays.
Religion? I can’t see, hear, smell, taste, or touch anything that could remotely be called a god. There is ZERO evidence for any kind of god.
   I don’t have faith in Charles Darwin. He was wrong about a lot of things. Faith in God, conversely, is that He is wrong about nothing. He can’t be wrong about anything. That is true faith – blind faith.
If there is such a thing as “faith” in evolution, it is better termed “trust” – trust that, based on myriad observable phenomena as presented by a variety of sciences, including biology, paleontology, geology, archeology, immunology, bacteriology, and, most recently, genetics, that one’s best odds for making rational, efficacious decisions in life is through a reliance on (a trust in) science. Religion is based on NOTHING BUT FAITH! Faith in what? That you will live forever, despite abundant evidence to the contrary, of course. What does God look like, sound like, smell like, taste like, or feel like? Conceptions of God, although they are multifarious, tend to be highly anthropocentric – the magic man in the sky, who is usually white, male, bearded, white-robed, and avuncular. Hey, show Him to me and I’ll believe. 

Word!!! :o)

Excellent!!!  Did they post it?

There are no horrible, eternal consequences for not believing in evolution. That sets it apart from most religions.

Hmm... eternal maybe not, but free of consequences this type of "disbelief" is not.

Yes, there are consequences for that type of disbelief, but that's a different topic. Not believing in evolution, though, is not going to send your eternal soul to hell to burn forever. Some people will think you're a bit dim, but that's pretty small beans in comparison.

From my understanding of what was stated in the linked post is that Evolution is a religion due to the fact it is something that people believe in and that it explains how we were created. I don't see "Evolution" in the same light at all. I think of religions more as culturally developed sets of stories, rules, customs and beliefs that governs and/or affects the thinking and behaviours of people and communities. Evolution doesn't fit into my understanding of a religion. Most people I know believe in evolution, but it has little effect on our lifestyles.

I just left a comment on the blog article as well - It appears she is actually responding to our comments too!  Being pretty dumb about her answers, but nonetheless responding!  

RSS

Forum

FROM THE WORD OF GOD IN THE OLD TESTAMENT

Started by Stephen Gunn in Small Talk. Last reply by Stephen Gunn 1 hour ago. 10 Replies

It happened

Started by Belle Rose in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Emperor Milos 1 hour ago. 77 Replies

Lobby

Started by Glen L in Small Talk. Last reply by captain kingsway 5 hours ago. 8 Replies

Disorders of Sex Development

Started by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp in Small Talk. Last reply by ɐuɐz ǝllǝıuɐp 15 hours ago. 13 Replies

Events

Blog Posts

Labels

Posted by Quincy Maxwell on July 20, 2014 at 9:37pm 19 Comments

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service