Do atheists generally believe euthanasia is a good idea? Is it a religious concept to let God decide who lives or dies, while making the healthcare system do everything possible to keep someone alive- astounding hypocrisy in my view...
When and where do you think it's a good thing to do? Eg. Could we open beds in nursing homes once patients have gone catatonic? My mother, a baby boomer, feels this is an inevitability with our rapidly aging population. I'm not so sure, seeing the give it your all methods used even in palliative care sometimes.

Views: 2229

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't believe assisted suicide (or even suicide) should be prevented or should be a crime.

If you don't own yourself and your life, what greater property can the government confiscate?

Here's a quick, brutal, answer: better to die humanely in a hospital than splattered across the road or train line. My reasoning is as follows:

• Cheaper cleanup
  • more humane
  • patient doesn't need to move
  • less psychological trauma for all involved (don't forget family, friends, train driver, etc)

The only downside I can see to euthenasia is if it is inflicted upon unwilling patients as a means of legal murder.

My main problem with suicide is the aftermath. I wish more suicides would think about the problems they leave behind as well as, as you mentioned, the cleanup following certain ways of offing oneself.

I think if I were to do it I'd use the old many pills + a lot of Wild Turkey approach. I'd send a delayed message meant to arrive a few hours after my death. I wouldn't want to inflict any foul odors on those who come to see if I meant it.

I always thought that'd be potentially very painful. I figured I'd do it Hemingway style, but I guess that is inconsiderate. I know some people who have hung themselves, and that seems to work out pretty well, but again that seems like there could be potentially painful complications-- like what if it didn't work, and I just lost certain functions or something? Short of gaining access to an updated version of Kevorkian's thanatron, I still think messy gunshot is the way to go.

http://www.dignitas.ch/index.php?option=com_content&view=articl...

These people (aside from Kevorkian) were the first I heard were doing it.
- Good info toward the bottom

No, it's like dying of a morphine overdose. You pass out and at some point you stop breathing. Where would the pain come in?

For some reason I instinctively imagine stomach pain. What are the specifics? Pill-wise.

Probably twenty hydrocodones (Vicodin) would do it on their own, but chugging a half bottle of 80 proof bourbon, vodka, or whatever would make sure.

I'm not an expert, but I doubt you'd be conscious long enough to wish any tummy pain would go away. One thing: if you're worried about tummy pain, don't go the aspirin route. It takes a LOT of aspirin to kill a person, but barbiturates will definitely do the trick with a much smaller number of pills.

That was my concern. Intestinal tearing and what-have-you. Barbiturates, hydrocodones, and 80 proof. Sounds solid. Easier to get than a gun, makes less of a mess (more considerate)... just have to make sure I don't soil myself.

Dealing with soiled underwear, despite the stink, beats scraping your brains off the ceiling with a razor blade and empty tin can.

I'll still try to empty my bowls first just in case. For pride's sake. I mean I know I'll be non-existent, but I don't currently like the idea of my loved ones thinking I hadn't developed a contingency for "poo-pants". This might be a moot point, as by the time I'm old enough to consider this assisted suicide may be more common (hoping that's not wishful thinking).

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

1400 years of human right violation

Posted by proudAthiest on February 11, 2016 at 9:30pm 4 Comments

Gravitational waves

Posted by Davis Goodman on February 11, 2016 at 11:30am 7 Comments

Services we love!

© 2016   Created by umar.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service