Ethical Proposition By A Bunch Of Aliens (from one of my philo classes)

So, a bunch of aliens come along and tell us this:

We are beings from another dimension. In case you're wondering, we are the ones who created the comos in which you live. We can destroy it instantly or let it continue on as is. Your choice."

We ask, "What, then, is the choice?"

"Just give us an 8 year old girl who we'll make immortal and we'll give you back your cosmos."

"What will you do with her? Whatever we want. Primarily, we enjoy torture. We'll torture her till the end of time. If you won't do that, we'll bring everything you know to an abrupt end. What is your choice?"

How would you analyze this? The greatest good for the greatest number or what?

Views: 651

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Allow me to employ a debating technique I will call: the twitter technique...

We are beings from another dimension.

Proof?

we are the ones who created the comos

Proof?

We can destroy it instantly or let it continue on as is.

Proof?

The philosophical question is irrelevant until the accuracy of the original statements can be shown.

But then no hypotheticals could exist. How does that prepare you for adecision when the proof is supplied? I didn't want to take the question as incomplete I want to take the question as already proven. There is no need for the answer or the question without taking the question as fact. And since proof is not required for the answer of no who needs proof? A better answer is not to answer at all. Any given deadline or reponsiblity is null at that point. All humanities progress is completely worthless when derived by fear. We are better off being obliterated.

One cannot ask for proof they created and can destroy the universe. It's kind of a Pascal's Wager. If you call their bluff and they aren't who they say they are, you can have a laugh at their expense. If it turns out they are who they say they are...goodbye universe!

LOL

We are beings from another dimension.

Proof?

They prove it with empirical evidence.

we are the ones who created the comos

Proof?

They prove it with empirical evidence.

We can destroy it instantly or let it continue on as is.

Proof?

They prove it by destroying the cosmos.

LOL

Oops, I was wrong in my last post and failed to see this portion of the discussion. Good, someone else wants proof too! YES! Why demand so much proof in the fact of a raging theist who threatens our freedom in the face of the REAL world that we DO live in, and then chicken out and give in with no questions asked in the face of a bunch of extraterrestrial fucks?
YOU GO MATT!

At any given moment in time, right now for instance, there are several eight year old girls that are being tortured one way or another. The net suffering in this world is worse than your scenario. So the answer is easy.

I see: Let them off the universe to end the suffering.

Damn Robert.... that's a sobering realization.... reality sucks in many ways 

I'd give up someone else's kid in a heartbeat.

I first heard this in a philosophy class in 1971.

Cut back on the cold pizza just before bedtime, and you'll quit having those dreams --

RSS

Support T|A

Think Atheist is 100% member supported

All proceeds go to keeping Think Atheist online.

Donate with Dogecoin

Members

Forum

Things you hate.

Started by Devlin Cuite in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 10 minutes ago. 127 Replies

Videos

• Add Videos

Services we love

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Into life hacks? Check out LabMinions.com

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2014   Created by Dan.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service