One of the ones that makes my skin crawl is when people use "of" instead of the contraction of "have." For example, "My plants died. I should of watered them before visiting my family for a week."

What are some of yours?

Views: 1352

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How to handle sports teams and pop bands is a difficult area. For example, The Blue Jays is a baseball team. A singular noun. It is strictly correct to say "The Blue Jays is playing in Philadelphia on Sunday," but nobody in their right mind would say that. Even a grammarian would probably swallow his academic pride and say "The Blue Jays are playing in Philadelphia on Sunday."

The Rolling Stones is the name of a group. A singular noun. Would you say "The Rolling Stones is playing in Birmingham next week" or "The Rolling Stones is playing in Birmingham next week"?

I think you mean "moot point" not "mute point."

Moot means "Open to discussion or debate; debatable; doubtful: a moot point;  of little or no practical value or meaning; purely academic."

Mute means "Silent; refraining from speech or utterance;  not emitting or having sound of  any kind."

"I also follow the 'British convention,' however, I don't usually quote needlessly within my quotes.  This is solely for the 'pleasure' of our resident 'grammarians.'"  :-*  I thought that it is standard American English.  It's what I learned in school...but then again, I did have to beg my English teachers for extra grammar lessons ( which I taught myself from a decrepit, fifty year old book), since grammer is not measured by standardized testing and obviously unimportant. 

"It's a moo point.  It's like a cow's opinion...it just doesn't matter."

Anyone else watch Friends reruns?  No?  Alright, then.

I can't recall who the news editor was who would respond to the question "Are there any news?"  with "No, not a new".

I hate it when people use the word 'massive' to describe stuff that does not have mass.  For example, "I have massive respect for those who died in war," or, "It'll be a massive shame to see this fall apart."

Oh, and also when people use apostrophes when pluralizing: car's, train's, etc.

Massive can mean large in scale, amount, or degree.

Your quite right. Its horrible when people miss out apostrophe's or add one's where they shouldnt be. Or mangle phrases. Some people could care less, but its like nail's down a blackboard to me!

(Wow - I almost drove myself mad just writing the mangled paragraph above. I'm going for a lie down in a darkened room to recover now)

And "I could care less," taken literally, means "I care more than I could," which is the opposite of what they probably intend.

The phrase "I could care less" gives me the twitches. That one definitely drives me crazy.

I agree Jewelz. Makes me cringe every time I hear it. I even heard it on NPR the other day. Aaagh!

Simply saying "I could care" (leaving it at that, implying that one doesn't) would be more accurate.

RSS

Events

Blog Posts

It's all Greek to me

Posted by Simon Mathews on April 15, 2015 at 4:14am 17 Comments

Free at last

Posted by Belle Rose on April 15, 2015 at 1:00am 3 Comments

Services we love!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service