One of the ones that makes my skin crawl is when people use "of" instead of the contraction of "have." For example, "My plants died. I should of watered them before visiting my family for a week."

What are some of yours?

Views: 1380

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

bath and bathe as well.

Some things that bug me follow: double negatives, double comparatives, and double superlatives. (This is by no means a complete list.)

@David Lee: Not pointless though, IMO, as it establishes the standard for young. (A young child might be five, a young adult might be 20-something, and a young person is really vague.)

"your" instead of "you're" is starting to make my butt hurt.  There's even a difference in pronunciation. That reminds me: "their" "there" and "they're" is almost as bad.

Yeah. Probably these also: to, too, and two - lose, loose.

Totally. If you never left the internet, you might come away thinking that the word "lose" doesn't exist.

@Stutz: Yeah, what's with that anyway?

Where's the difference in pronunciation of "your" and "you're"? I mean, it might just be my thick Yorkshire accent, but I've never heard any difference in the two. Same for "there", "their" and "they're".

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite quotes. 

"I refuse to be part of a society that encourages the rampant abuse of its own language."

When did the expression "buck naked" become "butt naked"?

HA! I think this may be another example of a mutant hybrid baby. Butt ugly + buck naked perhaps?

Because stupid people think that the expression refers to the fact that your butt is exposed when you're naked.

When people don't capitalize or punctuate it's hard to tell if they even know how.

Which may be the point.

© 2015   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service