One of the ones that makes my skin crawl is when people use "of" instead of the contraction of "have." For example, "My plants died. I should of watered them before visiting my family for a week."

What are some of yours?

Views: 1339

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I guess it depends on how you think about it. I grew up with that, and a hell of a lot worse with me being from Yorkshire, so I don't really think about what it actually means at all; it's just another contraction, and that's about it.

But Bruce Lee things sound rather painful for everyone involved! 

I've been researching this Yorkshire place on the YouTube for the past 20 minutes (like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V54g0314UA&feature=mfu_in_order... ) and I can definitely see the speed at which one speaks being a factor but it seems like 80% understandable. 80%'s not bad. It's actually kind of, endearing maybe? But I'm pretty sure I would Bruce Lee thing whole houses if I lived anywhere north of that.

Just watched that video, and it's spot on, although there is a lot of variation. I'd say I even speak a little bit faster than that, but I tend to tone it down a lot when I'm talking to anyone who doesn't know me that well.

The university that she was talking about, Huddersfield, is actually south of where I live, so I guess I'd be Bruce Lee'd into submission!

Noooooo...! And to think you'd be spared, if you would only,  slow,   down.

It's not even a concious thing though! There's no need for you to slow down if everyone can understand you anyway. It just takes time; my fiancé lives in PA and he couldn't understand a word when we first met, but I can witter away at my normal speed now and he has no problems, in fact, he starts picking it up himself after a while! 

Who says "there're" isn't a word? Contractions are done kind of on the fly anyway, especially in the interrogative. Why not allow constructions like "who're you?" or "what'd you say?" I see them as legally constructed expressions. The problem with "There's people outside" is that when you uncontract it, it's flat out wrong.

Precisely, we must advocate the widespread use of these words or our grandchildren will be fed to Morlocks.

"there're" & "should've"

Again, a case of suggested usage rather than breaking any rules. Contractions are perfectly legal, it's just that in certain situations, they can lead to less clarity of information. :)

How about overused colloquialisms?

My bad

Fail!

Woot! woot! woot!

At the end of the day

Outside the box

The bottom line is

Chat shorthand used outside of chat situations?

OMG

LOL

TTYL

Meaningless filler words?

Mike: "Well, I was like on my way to, uh, Willis's house when, umm, my car ran out of like gas." Ike: "Hmm. Well, I guess you were having like a bad day." (I have a nephew who seems to manage to fit at least four likes into every sentence.)

umm, uh

Well,

Hmm

Meaningless filler words are often used just because our we can't keep up with ourselves! I agree that "like" is pretty awful, but admittedly I do use it myself on occasions. However, "umm" and "uh" are completely normal.

Am I right or wot?

:-)

Chat shorthand outside of chat situations, whenever I've heard it, has always been as a joke. "El Oh El"

RSS

Forum

Torture Report release today

Started by Unseen in Ethics & Morals. Last reply by Unseen 28 minutes ago. 132 Replies

Ear-piercing a baby

Started by Simon Mathews in Atheist Parenting. Last reply by Ed 3 hours ago. 19 Replies

Is There Any Ex-Mennonites or Ex-Amish On This Site?

Started by Jessica Miller in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 6 hours ago. 27 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by David Seidman 11 hours ago. 8 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Pope Beanie 15 hours ago. 25 Replies

Blog Posts

How did that happen?

Posted by Belle Rose on December 19, 2014 at 4:36am 1 Comment

Pabst Blue Ribbon to the rescue!

Posted by Ed on December 15, 2014 at 9:33pm 0 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service