One of the ones that makes my skin crawl is when people use "of" instead of the contraction of "have." For example, "My plants died. I should of watered them before visiting my family for a week."

What are some of yours?

Views: 1339

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Totally. If you never left the internet, you might come away thinking that the word "lose" doesn't exist.

@Stutz: Yeah, what's with that anyway?

Where's the difference in pronunciation of "your" and "you're"? I mean, it might just be my thick Yorkshire accent, but I've never heard any difference in the two. Same for "there", "their" and "they're".

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite quotes. 

"I refuse to be part of a society that encourages the rampant abuse of its own language."

When did the expression "buck naked" become "butt naked"?

HA! I think this may be another example of a mutant hybrid baby. Butt ugly + buck naked perhaps?

Because stupid people think that the expression refers to the fact that your butt is exposed when you're naked.

When people don't capitalize or punctuate it's hard to tell if they even know how.

Which may be the point.

why would any1 want 2 do that neway its not as if it helps nebody no wut ur saying <--- When I see things like this I just want to grrashbkljhlstabstabak;ljastrangledll;grrbbludgeonasdlbbbbb.

When people say "there's" instead of "there are" or even "there're". I know "there're" isn't a word, but it's damn sure better than saying "There's some people outside."

Also, "should've".

I think that can be put down to ease of pronunciation though, as opposed to people just not knowing the rules. It could be accent too, I know that I say there's instead of "there is" or "there has" and "there're". When you're talking at speed, things get jumbled together, but I agree that it's not something I'd expect to see written down.

How about getting "there" out of the construction entirely: "Some people are outside/out there"

Reminds me of the old slam on sleepy small towns: "I went there once but there was no there there."

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

"Probably won't report".....

Started by Belle Rose in Society. Last reply by Davis Goodman 56 minutes ago. 19 Replies

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Davis Goodman 1 hour ago. 64 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Erock68la 2 hours ago. 63 Replies

Analyzing Ferguson

Started by Unseen in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Simon Mathews 2 hours ago. 5 Replies

Blog Posts

Rounding Up?

Posted by Carol Foley on November 20, 2014 at 3:17am 2 Comments

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service