One of the ones that makes my skin crawl is when people use "of" instead of the contraction of "have." For example, "My plants died. I should of watered them before visiting my family for a week."

What are some of yours?

Views: 1339

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Who says it is abusage? You can only say that for English people, because anyone else is already doing their best, don’t you think?

I think I near perfection when I write English, of course, an English teacher would say I am totally crazy because every so many word I will slip something wrong. But then gain, I am only trying to write with my 3rd language I learned. :)

Of course I replied to this post "just in case" I might be one of your abuser, I want you to know I do feel I write with discrepancies… sorry and I am working on it. ;)

Cheers!!

hey Gianni,its all about getting your view or point across which you do brilliantly.I can only speak and write English but I personally would love  to have the knowledge  to speak another or three different languages.It's awesome that you can and I bet most people would love to speak another language fluently but they cant.At the end of the day it's all about the ability to communicate and that's it,so yourself with 3 different ways of communicating  in differant languages is worth a hell of a lot more than someone who worry's that their grammer is perfect.I know what skills I'd rather have.

Don't worry, I frequent a few UK-heavy forums, and you Brits are equally guilty of all of the common grammar faux-pas.

The Brits are always saying things like "Three weeks TIME." What's the alternative? Three weeks of space? It's redundant. A week IS a unit of time.

British people also say things like "I was just stood there".  They also forget articles like when "So and so is in hospital" or "I'll just put kettle on". But somehow grammar mistakes from Brits are endearing, and when Americans make them, it's just annoying and embarrassing.  

"Could you please borrow me the dictionary" is one I once heard.

this is also a very common mistake within italians when speaking english, because it's the literal translation of the corresponding italian sentence :D

All countries have their caveats created by the mass.

One of these caveats in England is the sense of "everything to the queen". When we read titles such as "How do you think the Queen feels about the wanton abuse of her English?", that sounds the same as "what would god think of your…". You see my point here? The queen is what it is, but Brits need to let go of the queen juts as much as religion.

Throughout the ages languages have originated from one point and spread to many other points. Latin spawned many points, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French and so on. With English it is the same thing but from another root. All languages intermix to a certain degree, and this continues to this day and will flow with evolution naturally. That said, American have the right to adapt their English, if they get use to certain sayings, why not accept it.

Of course, contractions and other common language laws should be applied to the maximum, it is a matter of coherence.

In a sense everybody is right. ;)

I didn't realise, as a Brit, that I was holding on to the queen!

Recent polls show that over 65% of Brits consider the queen above all. Now, in granular way it is difficult to determine the importance of the queen for each person with such polls, but in general the polls do show us Brits are still attached to their Monarchy. If those polls were referendums by the Monarchy, it can truly shape a country destiny for a while because many are one sided. Of course there too we can granulize, leaving even less people aligned with the Monarchy… and thank goodness for that. LOL

But I am glad you pointed out my generalisation, I try to always write considering all, I slipped and forgot to mention "exception there is always".

Can I ask where this poll was from and was it reported on Fox news?lol

RSS

Atheist Sites

Forum

The Movie Kiss: Romance or Rape?

Started by Unseen in Society. Last reply by Cato Rigas 1 hour ago. 68 Replies

Parents: help?

Started by Lee in Advice. Last reply by Cato Rigas 1 hour ago. 9 Replies

In Defense of ‘Islamophobia’

Started by Brian Daurelle in Society. Last reply by Unseen 4 hours ago. 70 Replies

Blog Posts

In Avoidance of Anger

Posted by Pope Beanie on November 27, 2014 at 4:59pm 0 Comments

The plane that never crashed

Posted by Brazillian atheist on November 27, 2014 at 12:17pm 1 Comment

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service