Is the empowerment of women ALWAYS....ok...almost always...:)  for the betterment of society?

....You can guess

My answer Is....YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you think?

Why?

For the purpose of this discussion: We must first define the empowerment of women. Please see this video. Women have only recently with the invention of modern medicine been able to control their reproductive health and choice. They have become much more equal in the workforce. They have been allowed to raise their children with infrastructure in place to aid them financially and emotionally. They have been given many rights that in previous generations were defaulted to the man, such as the right to vote, the right to join the armed forced and even the right to say no to sex and be heard. These rights have not come over night. But we now have them and many take them for granted. Myself included maybe. But the empowerment of women is more than just giving them rights. It's being able and willing as a society to recognize their humanity and honor it as just as important as a man's humanity. This means that special considerations must be made due to the nature of women as the child bearers and mothers. It doesn't mean special treatment or putting women above men, it means elevating them to a place where they can make the most of their lives and the lives of their children, and the society they live in. It means allowing them to use their unique skills and influence to counteract the sometimes male-dominated attitudes that prevail in public life, and it means that women MUST be respected for the natural born abilities they can bring to others, but even more so their ability to be authentically themselves without societal pressure to conform to old ways of thinking and living. It is the only way  our species will survive and has survived. Women have sought empowerment and have won in many ways, but in my opinion and the point of this discussion is to say that there is NEVER a circumstance where the empowerment of women would be detrimental to society, therefore it is ALWAYS for the betterment of society.

Views: 1350

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Frederick Douglass: Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will.

I understand his words to mean something like People who wait to be empowered won't be empowered.

Does his observation apply here?

Idealists live hard lives, filled with disappointments.

Holo, methinks...no, meknows you jest.

I believe there's room for women to become more empowered in the Muslim world even while sticking to Islamic beliefs.  After all, it's said that every Muslim is a fundamentalist and in charge of their own relationship with Allah.  I went to a Muslim service once at a mosque: when they pray together, the Imam turns round too. 

Belle: Those women need to be empowered from the outside in....from people who are already empowered to speak up for them.

So very true.

I'm now reading Peter Drier's The 100 Greatest Americans of the 20th Century: A Social Justice Hall of Fame. But for those 100, many of them women, we would still be living in a world much like that in which my grandparents lived their early years--the years of America's robber barons and their allies in government. I recommend the book for folks who need inspiration.

Yet, according to Robert Hare, perhaps America's leading expert on sociopathy, enough women qualify (about one for every two men) to make doubtful your A = B formula.

Many women now active in political life are providing support for a B is following from A formula. I hope they continue.

Those women need to be empowered from the outside in....from people who are already empowered to speak up for them.

That will not happen very likely if you are talking about Muslim women. Majority of women in the Islamic world sees western women as oppressed as they think wearing revealing clothes and such what not is a sign of a society without morals. They think think wearing the veil is what empowers them as a woman because they are doing what god had asked them to do and through that they get strength and courage of being a strong independent woman. 

So Im not sure what you mean by speaking up for them when they themselves don't believe they are oppressed. 

Then surely the wider situation needs to be tackled, other parts of the picture. 

They see it this as this way

That pretty much sums it up.

Sums up shit. It's a false equivalency. It is somewhat funny because of the eye inversion thing, but otherwise it's worthy of a triple facepalm and a long, long sigh: reckless correctness on top of a huge reality disconnect.

RE: "it's worthy of a triple facepalm" - only Zaphod Beeblebrox could do that!

You're right, but he's out of the galaxy at the moment I'm told. Fortunately it can also be done with some assistance.

RSS

Forum

How do you cure Insanity???

Started by Belle Rose in Advice. Last reply by Belle Rose 2 hours ago. 64 Replies

Why do we tolerate this?

Started by Belle Rose in Crime and Punishment. Last reply by Reg The Fronkey Farmer 4 hours ago. 27 Replies

My Grandpa died last week

Started by Physeter in Small Talk. Last reply by Belle Rose 9 hours ago. 12 Replies

A relapse.....

Started by Belle Rose in Small Talk. Last reply by Unseen 13 hours ago. 7 Replies

Services we love!

We are in love with our Amazon

Book Store!

Gadget Nerd? Check out Giz Gad!

Advertise with ThinkAtheist.com

In need a of a professional web site? Check out the good folks at Clear Space Media

© 2014   Created by umar.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service